My first try with cuttlefish eggs

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Uncle Salty 05, May 20, 2011.

1. Uncle Salty 05

Uncle Salty 05 Larval Mass Registered

I have been a reefkeeper for over 20 years and have always been fascinated by cephalopods in general and especially cuttlefish. A couple of weeks ago I was snorkeling to update the CUC in my reef tank and a mated pair of cuttlefish swam right up to me (within a foot of my mask) and started displaying for me.
    It was awesome!
    A local fish store sends me weekly updates of the stuff the get in and when I saw cuttlefish eggs on the list I called them immediately and went and bought three of them.
    They were on the substrate in my refugium until I saw a bristleworm crawling on one of them, they are now in a breeder net.
    I can see the babies inside the eggs but have not seen any movement.
    Two of the three eggs look they they are starting to deflate. Is this a bad sign?
    Should I remove them? The third is still nice and plump but still no movement.
    Is it possible all three are duds?

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: to TONMO

good luck with the cuttles!

Awesome! however, what you likely encountered while diving was actually a squid. There are no cuttlefish that are native to our hemisphere. it was most likely a reef squid or Sepioteuthis sepioidea.

from my understanding, I'm not a cuttle expert, they might deflate a tiny bit, but if they look flat then it is a bad sign.
    I would say giveem a chance.

it happens sometimes.

3. Uncle Salty 05

Uncle Salty 05 Larval Mass Registered

After doing a search on Sepioteuthis sepioidea I believe you are correct, I think that is what I saw.
    I didn't realize that squid were that colorful and look so similar to cuttlefish.
    Well I got my answer on the deflation question. When I went home for lunch I was greeted by a hatchling. I removed the completely collapsed egg and look forward to finding a second hatchling when I get home after work. I think all three are going to hatch. WOO HOO!
    I am so stoked.

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

If you haven't found them already, there are journals of a lot of first time keepers (that will have a lot of Q&A about what to expect) linked in our List of Our Cuttlefish 2009-2011

5. Kerrick

Kerrick GPO Registered

Any updates Salty?