• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

My first try with cuttlefish eggs

Uncle Salty 05

Larval Mass
Registered
I have been a reefkeeper for over 20 years and have always been fascinated by cephalopods in general and especially cuttlefish. A couple of weeks ago I was snorkeling to update the CUC in my reef tank and a mated pair of cuttlefish swam right up to me (within a foot of my mask) and started displaying for me.
It was awesome!
A local fish store sends me weekly updates of the stuff the get in and when I saw cuttlefish eggs on the list I called them immediately and went and bought three of them.
They were on the substrate in my refugium until I saw a bristleworm crawling on one of them, they are now in a breeder net.
I can see the babies inside the eggs but have not seen any movement.
Two of the three eggs look they they are starting to deflate. Is this a bad sign?
Should I remove them? The third is still nice and plump but still no movement.
Is it possible all three are duds?

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
:welcome: to TONMO

good luck with the cuttles!

a mated pair of cuttlefish swam right up to me (within a foot of my mask) and started displaying for me.
It was awesome!
Awesome! however, what you likely encountered while diving was actually a squid. There are no cuttlefish that are native to our hemisphere. it was most likely a reef squid or Sepioteuthis sepioidea.

Two of the three eggs look they they are starting to deflate. Is this a bad sign?
from my understanding, I'm not a cuttle expert, they might deflate a tiny bit, but if they look flat then it is a bad sign.
Should I remove them?
I would say giveem a chance.

Is it possible all three are duds?
it happens sometimes.

Uncle Salty 05

Larval Mass
Registered
After doing a search on Sepioteuthis sepioidea I believe you are correct, I think that is what I saw.
I didn't realize that squid were that colorful and look so similar to cuttlefish.
Well I got my answer on the deflation question. When I went home for lunch I was greeted by a hatchling. I removed the completely collapsed egg and look forward to finding a second hatchling when I get home after work. I think all three are going to hatch. WOO HOO!
I am so stoked.

Members online

No members online now.