• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My 90 gallon Octo Tank (Work in progress)

Alright, so I know this is my third post in a row, but I was able to get an 18 gallon storage bin to fit after buying 2 bins and a trash can from Home Depot with my mom this evening. The other bin we got was smaller (10 gallon) and the trash can is 13 gallon, I believe.. not that it matters because I got the 18gal square-ish one to fit. Now I have to make my big purchases of the protein skimmer and the lights, or lighting, in hope that the protein skimmer will fit under my cabinet. :biggrin2:

My LFS has an octopus that they got in today, it's pretty small.. (Not that it matters either because I have to cycle for three months :hmm: .. but just something to think about).

Keep an eye on the little guy just for the fun of it and maybe you will meet the new keeper and can direct him/her here. :biggrin2: That way you can keep up with one that you have seen.

You probably think again about smaller skimmer for the height. If it does not hang on to the wall and fit, the entire unit can be submersed so you should be able to make it work.

I went out to the fish store that's like 30 minutes away and got a new heater and a hydrometer while I was there because my Deep Blue one shattered due to me leaving it on the floor on a towel near the door. I'm planning on ordering my lighting and protein skimmer tonight once I figure out which ones I'm getting for sure. I also need recommendations (preferably from fosterandsmithaquatics) for test kits as I will need them soon and don't want to pay a fortune at a local store..

Edit: My bulkheads still leaked the water (slowly I'm assuming) that I poured down my overflow yesterday.. so I'll have to reinstall them AGAIN, properly.. :mad:

Second Edit: Has anyone had any experience with this company? Their prices seem to be relatively reasonable for their "coraline algae" rock, and I'm considering going with them versus the "Real Reef", even though the "Real Reef" is eco-friendly, it's also more expensive, haha. Plus, the reviews for them on Ebay seem to be great!

Third Edit: I think I'm gonna go with the 36"-48" model of this lighting system because the reviews show that it's a dimmer light...which would be a good thing for octos, and along with that the prices aren't too extreme, relatively cheap actually...

So I received my RO/DI unit in the mail today..the only problem is I'm not 100% sure how to assemble it. There doesn't seem to be two seperate tubes for waste water and "good" water... but that's only the first problem, haha.

Edit: The seller is going to send (email) me some installation/assembly instructions for the unit! :biggrin2: I can't wait!
(I only put send above because that was my original thought but I typed email at first..)

I just purchased my Coralife Needle-Wheel 220 gallon rated protein skimmer, along with a Marineland Single-Bright LED 36"-48" fixture, and a float valve for my RO buckets! Hopefully all the equipment will get shipped fairly quick so I can get my tank moving! :biggrin2:

Alright....so I had a RO/DI unit faucet adapter, and a piece of it broke off. So I had ordered another one which came in today... it doesn't screw on to my faucet cause of the way it's shaped... I just don't know what to do at this point xD or anymore... because I've had so many issues. My float valve mount also broke off, so I don't know how I'm gonna work with that either...

it doesn't screw on to my faucet cause of the way it's shaped...
Let's start here. Explain or take a picture of the parts that won't work together. Generally, a faucet will have a screw on "cap" where the water comes out. The cap holds a particulate screen and sometimes a rubber washer so be careful not to lose the pieces when you take off this part. Remove and look at the part that screws off the faucet. Are the threads on the inside or the outside? Now look at both your adpater and where you would attach the adapter to the RO/DI fill hose. Do either of these match the thread location (inside or outside) and the diameter of the piece you took off the faucet? If the fill hose matches, then you don't need the adapter. If neither match, then you will need to make a trip to a hardware store. Take the RO/DI adapter AND the piece from the faucet (be sure you put all the parts in a baggie so they don't get lost). Ask a salesman for help finding an attachment that fits the RO/DI adapter on one side and looks like the faucet cap on the other.

Basically, There's two parts to the adapter, yes? The shiny silver part and the circular "cap" type part that screws into the faucet. That I know of, that's how it works anyways. So I screw the first part into the faucet, but the faucet adapter doesn't screw onto that because of the shape of the faucet it seems. (Unless I'm not supposed to use the other part" The "cap" part came with the other faucet adapter that came with my RO/DI machine and screws onto the faucet and then onto the faucet adapter.. It's not really a cap actually, just like a little brass screw-type-thing.

You may have two different adapters, one for a female faucet and one for a male faucet and you would only use one. If you have anything close to a normal faucet (I have one that does not fit this category) you should be able to make the connections work. Look at the pieces logically and see what fits where, not worring about what you don't use.

Alright, so by trying the same thing I did yesterday, or the day before... whichever day it was... and the adapter screws on fine.. It's just that it leaks a little so water goes down past the faucet adapter thing and into the sink... and I can't tell if the water is actually going through the hose or not.

The RO/DI filter works off of pressure, so the joints in your plumbing need to be able to withstand a lot of pressure without leaking (above a slow drip at least) to ensure that enough pressure is left to push water through all those filters.

To fix the leak, first be suspicious that you lost an O-ring or other circular rubber part that is supposed to go between two of the metal pieces you are screwing together. Check any diagrams you have to see of there is supposed to be circular rubber part (Maybe called "O-ring" "gasket" or "seal"). If not, then your joints are depending on very tight metal to metal connection to keep water out. "Crud" on the threads, or inside your faucet can obstruct that connection, so I suggest that you take the connectors off, and make sure that there is not build up of "Crud" (especially hard white crud), sand, or anything else on any of the parts. Be especially worried about the threads on your faucet. Clean hard white crud off with "Lime Away" bathroom cleaner, or maybe Comet cleanser, barkeepers friend, Bon-Ami, or toilet bowl cleaner (if you use a brush (good idea) don't get it on your clothes or in your eyes!). It's also a good idea to use one or two wraps of Teflon tape over the thread. Then use tools, not just your hands, to tighten all the metal fittings to metal fittings. You can sometimes break plastic fittings if you use tools, so use caution tightening plastic fittings. I don't recommend using liquid sealers on the threads, because of the risk of some of it getting into the filter and clogging or contaminating it.

I know it's been a while since I've posted and my tank has been kinda delayed in progress because I've been busy and on vacation, sorry! Will be filling with water momentarily (as in the next few days hopefully, once I get containers to take it in).. I'm gonna use the pet store for my initial fill.

Alright, I hate to tell you guys that my tank project may be coming to an end..but it's probably gonna be that. It's just that the work to go into even getting my tank set-up will still be a hassle and cost a fortune. :/ I'm gonna be starting college in less than a year and just... I dunno. It seems like we put out alot and there's still alot to go to get the tank started with rock, corals, etc. It's an expensive hobby, and I knew that in the first place.. but it sounds like I might end up with a vivarium instead...they've always interested me as well. I'm sorry :/ I'll be sure to work with the GPO at an aquarium if I end up there after college though, and I'll be back then. :] If not before then...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back