• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Mr. Squiggles - A.aculeatus

davelin315

Wonderpus
Registered
I have no personal experience with this, but I'll take a wild and unreliable stab at it based on what others have said in other threads. I see purple edges to the suckers and a brownish tinge to the skin. I'm going to guess O. briareus. A picture of the mantle and from the other side would be very helpful, as well as size.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I agree A.Aculeatus. 100 Gallon is a great size. where did you get Him? I dont think we have seen A Acleatus yet this year. Cool!

oh yeah :welcome:

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Just to help you understand the ID:

Physical aspects of a male octopus:
- Looking at your first photo note there are several enlarged suckers
- In the second (and you will notice it in the first) you will see a curled up arm. That should be the third arm to the right (clockwise) but the arm positions are difficult to enumerate in the photos (and with Puddles, my octo, all but impossible to determine all the time due to his crazy arm movements).

Species Aculeatus
- color and small frame, arm to mantle ratio about 5:1
- purple lining on suckers (also true of hummelincki/filosus)
- Neogonodactylus (darn it Roy couldn't you have used just Mantis - spelling that kills me) and Muctopus have studied this complex in situ and in lab for years

Additional observations for you to watch for
- A star pattern around the eye
- Little horns to appear over the eyes.
- Wonderful skin Patterning - Muctopus' avitar is another look for this animal. Check out some of her video for this species (try YouTube search huffard aculeatus)

master yoda

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
HELP!!!!!!!

Ok Mr. Squiggles isnt eating any help in coaching him into eating will help. I have gave him shrimp live hermits and no response from him.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Try giving him a small chunk of shrimp using a feeding stick. Just reach in with the shrimp on a stick and lightly touch/tickle on the arms or better yet the suckers if you can see them.

How big is squiggles?

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Hmmm, I would make sure there are a few extra feeder crabs / shrimp in the tank and let it play out. He may just still be adjusting to his new surroundings. A few members have used cyclop-eeze when they had octopuses that were brooding and having trouble eating, but I have no experience using it.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Can I twist your arm to start a journal on Mr. Squiggles? An intro on acclimation, any photos you may have taken and where he came from is a nice start and keeping his/her domestic history is helpful for your own memory as well as noting the experience for others.

Alternately, I can move your ID thread to journals and combine with this thread to get it started.

Members online

No members online now.