Monty - Unknown (brown eyespot Caribbean)

Humm, good question. If you don't read Spanish and just found links, then no but it won't hurt to post links if you know it has content (perhaps growth charts). Be sure to mention that the articles are in Spanish and what is in the article that makes it worth referencing. Fortunately, we do have members that can help with translation if someone finds the links and needs the information.

I'm not sure if you've seen this video or not, but it's of an octopus found in Mexico resembling Hummelincki/Maya.

I'm not sure where in Mexico they found this animal, but I do believe it's O. Maya. It's about the right size, and you could clearly see the eye spot on one side.

The video caption says this video is from "Rocky Point" which is in the northern pacific coast of Mexico. I would think that octo is a Bimac. Maya comes from the east coast of Mexico. Hummelincki is from the Caribbean. Plus, Hummelincki/filosus only have a mantle of 7cm, which is way to small to be the octopus in the video.

CaptFish;169343 said:
The video caption says this video is from "Rocky Point" which is in the northern pacific coast of Mexico. I would think that octo is a Bimac. Maya comes from the east coast of Mexico. Hummelincki is from the Caribbean. Plus, Hummelincki/filosus only have a mantle of 7cm, which is way to small to be the octopus in the video.

I know it's too large to be a Hummelincki/Filosus, I was just using that as a reference to how it looked. I was unaware where Rocky Point was located in Mexico. I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything, but I agree if it borders the Pacific than yes it cannot be Maya. Do Bimacs get as large as the octopus in the video?

I will put money on it that Monty is a dwarf and neither Maya nor Hummelincki/filosis (unless we have been using the wrong species name :biggrin2:). I sure wish I could find out what he is though.

I am still having difficulty getting decent diagnostic shots of Monty and the lighting and reflections of this tank don't help but I did get a couple of cute pictures to post.

The white "pit" in the first photo may be diagnostic. He has three of them that are distinct and all three can be seen in the second photo.

The pink cast in the second photo is not the lighting and the third is shows him in his den with one half of the exposed arm very pink. As a tiny fella he could turn the bright red/orange of a sponge but we have not seen that color in a long time.

The last photo is the best clear shot I have been able to get of his ocellus. He only shows it when he is pissed off and is rarely still and in the open when that happens. In the light of the tank it looks black but is showing a possible blue ring inside a brown circle in the photo.

Attachments

• conv_297674.jpg
    conv_297674.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 120
  • conv_297675.jpg
    conv_297675.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_297676.jpg
    conv_297676.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_297677.jpg
    conv_297677.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 80
Excellent photos. I can see what you mean about the eye spot. Those white pits are very interesting as well. Have you seen those pits on any other "Hummelinckis" before? I don't think I've seen them on mine. I have to say though, I really do like the darkness of the eye spot.

Monty has started to go to bed early and his appetite is decreasing. He is up very early in the AM, sleeps most of the day and then usually out around 6:00. I think this falls closer to the definition of crepuscular than what we see in the O.briareus. He has been with me for 6 months and we may be seeing the very beginnings of adult aging.

Attachments

• conv_297864.jpg
    conv_297864.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 76
I wish you well, and hope that you are able to interact in a way satisfying to you both.

By the way, you know that you can go to just about any writings about octopus eyes and see comments about their pupils always being horizontal, and that it is the function of the statoliths to allow them to sense the direction of gravity and automatically maintain this eye orientation.

In practice, the octopuses don't seem to be quite that particular. For example, in the first shot in your series posted January 4 here. In fact, the forward tilt of the pupil seems the earn the name "attitude" -- the look makes him seem to have one.

Best wishes!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back