Monterey

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by supernick, Nov 2, 2003.

1. supernick

supernick O. bimaculoides Registered

you should go to Monterey bay, California. they have a aquarium that has the BEST octopi exibits. or, if you want to swim with the octopus, the aquarium is right on the water and in summertime you can kayak and dive in the underwater canyon. it's as close to a abyssal trench as you'll get.

(i sound like a salesman, don't i)

2. Dolphin_Girl

Dolphin_Girl Larval Mass Registered

Re: Monterey

I have been there, i think. i am only ten years old. i want to be a marine biolagist when i grow up. did you know that a giants squids eye, is the size of a dinner plate? Scientists say that they are sea monsters. i call the scientists :madsci: :madsci: :madsci: (mad scientists) . :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Supernick,

Actually, there is a canyon off the coast in Monterey Bay. The aquarium features a live show broadcast by the ROV Tiburon from the depth of Monterey Bay Canyon. The ROV is run by the nice folks at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI).

My wife and I are members of the aquarium. Its one of the most amazing places on Earth.

Sushi and Sake,

John

4. Fujisawas Sake

Dolphin Girl,

Welcome to TONMO! I hope you like it here.

John

5. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

:welcome: Dolphin Girl!

Yep we're :madsci: although some of us are madder than others !!!!! Are you SURE you want to join the madness when you grow up? :lol: Actually it's a very rewarding career and you get to see and do some cool stuff (course you also have to do some boring :sleeping: ,yucky :yuck: and downright smelly :yuck: :yuck: stuff too!)

J

6. supernick

so am i! is'nt the part atthe ceph exibit with the tv guy with the octo great??? :cuttle: :chillpil:

7. Jared

Jared Cuttlefish Registered

Yay for the monterey bay aquarium. I'm a volunteer diver at the aquarium and I used to be an otter rehab volunteer. My favorite exhibit there is the cuttlefish. Unfortunately, I've learned that they're going to be going away. They're planning to remodel that area in September 2004 and the cuttle fish are going to get the boot. The upside is that they're going to expand the Giant Pacific Octopus exhibit. The cuttle fish is one of the only non-native species in that area and that seems to be the number one motivation for their removal. I think they ought to be replaced with some loligo or, even better, some dosidicus.

8. lotus101

lotus101 O. vulgaris Registered

NOOOO! Are they going to put the :cuttle: up again? I very eaglerly want to go there someday (when I have the money and free time :wink: )

9. supernick

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. supernick

howsabout we all meet some time in december? Im going. :rainbow:

11. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I think they might have problems displaying Dosidicus!! Large oceanic predatory squid just don't do well. Course you could always toss in few divers for their dinner :twisted: I believe Loligo has been held in captivity though. Maybe in Galveston.........Fluffysquid would that be right?

J

12. Crevalle

Crevalle O. bimaculoides Registered

My wife and I are going to be moving to Sacramento in about a year. Just two hours from Monterey! Booyah!

13. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Pics and vids :heee: !!

Do have a great time there Crevalle, are you going there for leisure or something else?

14. Fujisawas Sake

Supsernick.

About that TV section... Yes, as a matter of fact it is! :lol:

Crevalle,

You're moving to Sacramento? I'm sorry... :lol:

Hee hee...Just kidding. I lived there most of my life. Go KINGS!!!

Sushi and Sake,

John

15. Crevalle

Crevalle O. bimaculoides Registered

Joel_ang--We're actually moving there permanently. Most of my family is out west, while I live in the frigid tundra. :)

I'm sure I'll make several trips down to the Monterey aquarium.

16. a rabid squid

a rabid squid GPO Supporter

Monterey

hi im from monterey too (pebble beach but close enough) i havent been to the aquarium in a long time. how did you voulenteer there. is there like a form or somthing?
    if you really wanna see some squid go to moss landing and watch the squid boats unload and if you have a chiller you can ask for a few squid. or if you want an octopus ask one of the drag boat capitains to bring you an octopus if they catch one it will only cost about a case of beer or something.

17. lukeos5

lukeos5 Larval Mass Registered

Hey all, this is my first time posting to the website, but I felt I had to what with all the talk of cephalopods and Monterey. I just went diving at Monastery beach in Monterey, and if you guys ever get a chance that is one of the most amazing dives I've ever done. I didn't see any cephs, but a few others in my class did. I saw some Mola Mola though, which was amazing. I have, however, seen a Cuttlefish while diving in southeastern Australia. After that, I can appreciate why some of you are sad to hear of the Cuttlefish departure from the Monterey Aquarium. I guess you'll just have to go to Australia then, eh? :P
    (note: Dolphin_Girl, you're awesome for wanting to be a marine biologist. Good luck to you!)

18. PurpleTentacle

PurpleTentacle GPO Supporter

I'm no diver, so I can't tell you about the wonders of diving in Monterey. However, I was at the aquarium a few weeks ago. Right now is a bad time to visit the aquarium if you want to see octopuses, but it's a great time to go if you want to see millions of jellies and the only baby great white to ever thrive in captivity. The great white was the reason I made the 6 hour drive and it was not disappointing. It's only about 4 feet long and is dwarfed by all the tuna in the tank with it, but it's still very cool. The species I was most impressed with was the zebra shark (or was it the Leopard, I always get the two confused) in the Kelp forest exhibit. They are harmless, but they have a look in their eyes that just says "I dare you to mess with me!"

I'm going to Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach this weekend. I hear it's pretty cool, but no Monterey.

19. lukeos5

lukeos5 Larval Mass Registered

Let us know how the Long Beach aquarium is. I've always heard good things, but haven't yet made it there. Oh, and I believe the shark you were referring to are the leopard sharks. They're pretty common up and down the coast, and the two or three that I've seen while diving are just as enigmatic as the ones you mentioned. (note-I've never heard of any Zebra shark, but then again I haven't seen everything...yet!)
    :P

20. PurpleTentacle

PurpleTentacle GPO Supporter