Mike deGruy: Hooked By an Octopus - Huffington Post (blog)

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Reaction score

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that was really good. I really liked his TED speech. Great octopus stories and Its a good message.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Great talk but if I am seeing things correctly, he talks about being in Australia and filming octopus behavior and then shows video from Hawaii. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but isn't that a cyanea that they are up close and personal with?

mvdegruy

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
I'll respond to this one. You are correct, that is O. cyanea, an indo-Pacific Octopus that I filmed on One Tree Island in Australia. Note the corals, Acropora, etc, which do not live in Hawaii. However, the O cyanea we filmed in the aquarium, where I peer at the beak in action, was in Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, but all the reef stuff was shot in Australia.
Glad you enjoyed the talk, I sure enjoyed the cruise with TED and Mission Blue and giving the talk.
MdeG

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
mvdegruy;153975 said:
I'll respond to this one. You are correct, that is O. cyanea, an indo-Pacific Octopus that I filmed on One Tree Island in Australia. Note the corals, Acropora, etc, which do not live in Hawaii. However, the O cyanea we filmed in the aquarium, where I peer at the beak in action, was in Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, but all the reef stuff was shot in Australia.
Glad you enjoyed the talk, I sure enjoyed the cruise with TED and Mission Blue and giving the talk.
MdeG
WOW! :welcome: to TONMO. I find your work fascinating and inspirational. Thanks for posting. And again Welcome!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,
Thanks for the correction. I did not realize O.cyanea lived as far south as Australia :oops: but appreciate you confirming my ID (still working at learning to identify the commons and where they are found). Most importantly, thanks for taking an interest in making the correction.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Mike - GREAT talk and thanks much for taking the time to register on TONMO.com. Don't be a stranger!
:smile: :notworth::snorkel:

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: to TONMO and thanks for being a ceph advocate!

mvdegruy

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your warm welcome everybody. I will certainly check in from time to time, you have a wonderful site, but, then again, how can you lose with cephalopods?!!

esquid

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
I very much enjoyed the talk, hope to see more soon.

:cuttlehi:Welcome to Tonmo:cuttlehi:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards