Meet OCTOROK!

rcl

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Melissa said:
rcl said:
My girlfriend brought over a very small rubber ducky today as a toy for Octorok, and we took turns putting it in the tank with him. She had been nervous about me getting an octopus from the start, so it was neat to see Octorok finally 'shake hands' with her. After being around a baby octopus for a few weeks it is amazing how someone's perception of them can change!!!
Glad to hear everyone has gotten more comfortable together. I have to ask, what made your girlfriend nervous? Was she worried she wouldn't like the new pet? Worried about caring for a demanding animal? Or that you'd want to spend all your time at home with the octo? That the cat or other pets would drown trying to get the octo?
Sorry I missed this post Melissa, for some reason forums don't always email me when I get replies to topics.. :arr:

She, and my mom who I live with, were both worried because they really didn't know anything about octopuses or how they would look or act. I was nervous at first too! I was very interested in them, but had never really seen one and definitely never seen how one acted.. so I had no way to be sure this was something I would really enjoy. Luckily I went out on a limb, and I'm very glad I did!!

Everybody has warmed up to the octopus really well. Just the other day my girlfriend, who teaches preschool, nabbed a couple of the large plastic blocks from her school for octorok! She was excited to give him toys because he is our friend :arr: I just put one of the blocks in last night, and he was happily pulling and pushing it around. Maybe he will build a crab statue out of legos for me!

Robert :cyclops:

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about hand feeding. That's usually done to encourage interaction, but you seem to have plenty of that already. When you felt something like a pinch, that might have been Octorok rubbing his beak against your skin. He's just curious and won't do this all his life! Sometimes they can scratch a little, too. I think he could have broken the skin if he'd wanted to.

Maybe your hand looks different to him when you have food in it, too.

I think you'll work out a way to have him stop inking. But he's friendly and getting along OK, so that's what's important. As for the growth, if a tiny bimac grows 10%, you won't notice it much. The bigger he gets, the more you notice his additional growth.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the next one!

Nancy

rcl

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Happy new year from rcl and OCTOROK! :rainbow:

A lot has gone on since then, but the major points of interest are --

The domino damsel got huge (probably 2.5" at least, and FAT) and harassed the 4 stripe damsel and OCTOROK quite a bit. I was about to sell the domino damsel when I saw that OCTOROK had 'taken a bite out of crime' so to speak! The fish was Quite Dead with a giant piece missing. OCTOROK was not very hungry afterwards. No visible marks on him, so I assume he escaped unscathed.

The chocolate chip starfish is still good. OCTOROK puts his arms around him sometimes but they are friends

I had a rock with loads of mushrooms on it in my reef tank, which were getting improper lighting and were DYING so I threw them in with OCTOROK, despite warnings. They are now flourishing in the dimmer flourescent light, and OCTOROK is nice to them. Everyone said they will be covered up by the octopus, but nothing could cover them up more than my jawfish was!!!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE --- after putting the mushroom rock in OCTOROK's tank I noticed an aiptaisia pest anenome on it, rather small. I was VERY worried that OCTOROK was going to be hurt by this, but before I could even do anything he was all over the rock -- and all over the anenome!! Since, he has touched it many times, and has never indicated that it hurts him. I know little to nothing about the stinging effects of these anenomes, and I am not one to gamble with my octopus's safety, so I am getting some 'joe's juice' from a coworker to kill this pest before something serious does happen.. but I just found this interesting because it was contradictory of things I had heard before

Today I have fed OCTOROK a gigantic electric blue hermit crab (placed it in his tank). He has 'attacked' it a few times, but has not killed it. I have a feeling that when the lights go out, it may be the end for the crab -- ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

As I have been saying in another thread, a FUTURE PLAN for OCTOROK is to introduce the saltwater shrimp from shrimpstuff.com.. I am thinking this will awake his natural instincts a bit more and give him a bit more natural life. Another future plan is to add some more mushrooms! These really brighten up the tank, and the 12 hour'ish photo-period I give them does not bother my 8 legged friend at all. He is out a lot of the time with it on or off!

Bye for now from rcl and OCTOROK :cyclops:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the update :)

let us know how you get on with the aiptasia

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Marinerules, you're not comparing apples to apples.

You have a baby bimac, still in the "baby hiding stage".

Octorok arrived in mid August, so he's a good 4 1/2 months older than your bimac, more confident and out and about more.

Be patient and take good care of the little guy.

Nancy

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
i know im complaining alot , I STILL LOVE TEH GUY , i just want to be able to go in there and SEE amazing stuff lol
sorry for being negative.

how big is his octo , i cant find it anywhere, if its 4.5 months, must be pretty big

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
So glad to hear Octorok is doing so well! Sounds like quite the charactor! You mentioned a jawfish.What type? I've always favored the dusky jaws! Any new pics?

Carol

rcl

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
I have a yellow headed jawfish (obviously NOT in the same tank with OCTOROK) and he/she is very cool. I have a very good picture of it --

As for pictures of OCTOROK I still have no good ones really. I need to fix this soon!!!

Lately he has been scared a lot I think. It is either because of the aiptasia, or this large crab I added to his tank, or its possible he is becoming a little too large for his den. Its also possible he is just maturing and changing.. ever since he ate the live fish he has been very reluctant to take pieces of silversides... he will still take mysis/brine shrimp no problem though luckily.

I'm thinking that maybe after experiencing his 'hunting' instincts he is going to be more picky... perhaps this is why he is hanging out in new places (like near the powerhead frequently) I am going to do a couple water changes in the near future to make sure it isn't water quality related. I really do think this may be a new behavior pattern emerging, though.

Any common experiences would be helpful :cyclops:

Pacific Blue

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Hey with the anenome I have had experances killing them using a hypodermic neddle. Just lance the little guy with it and pull out most of his insides using the syringe. If that dosent work I think you can inject them with vinager. Not positive on this one though. Some one else might have experance with this.

Pacific Blue

rcl

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
I am told that 'Joe's Juice' is really effective in killing them -- a guy at my work happens to have a bottle of the stuff, he is going to bring it in soon. I am really thinking that the anenome is not doing any harm though (..yet)

Robert & OCTOROK :cyclops:

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that my bimac would jerk her arm away when she accidently touched a rock anemone, so I got rid of the few I had. I used Colin's method of a syringe and boiling water, which was quite effective.

However, I discovered I now have one in my overflow (none in the tank) and I'll never be able to poke it with a syringe. Any ideas?

Joe's Juice is being heavily promoted here, too. But I doubt if it's better than boiling water.

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
I recently put a collar butterfly into one of my dads taks and it seems to be munching the aiptasia quite well :) but i hear that copperbands are even better still...

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
What is Joe's Juice????? Cute Jawfish!!! I favor the giant Duskies!!!

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Right, what's joe's juice? Wow nice jawfish

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you could Nancy, in a way....

Might be possible to ask a LFS if he'll take one back after a few weeks?

rcl

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
RIP OCTOROK :(

Last night I received fiddler crabs for him to eat and I put one in the tank.. I don't see it, but I assume that octorok did not hunt and eat it. Instead I think he starved to death maybe :( I had eliminated the aiptasia and done some water changes... the next step was going to be adding the heater, since the temperature was a fairly gradual change and he isn't a tropical species, I figured that his lowered activity level might be less pleasing for me to watch but ok for him. Its always confusing to 'debug' a fish death

My theory is going to stand that OCTOROK never developed proper hunting instincts and after killing that live damsel he wanted to change what he ate, but didn't have the hunting ability to do so.

While my upcoming idea may be a little costly, I think it will be worthwhile; and I think the thought of breaking down a tank I have spent around $500 on seems really unappealing at this point......

My plan is to start filling my tank up with a reasonable amount of live food and to introduce an octopus and allow him to hunt off these foods and nothing else for his lifespan. This way he will surely get the nutrition he needs, if I select the right foods, and they will be much more 'natural'.

So far I am planning on putting these 10 fiddlers in, and probably getting a bunch of the shrimp off the site nancy suggested (I'd try shrimpstuff.com but I have no place for 200 shrimp, and don't find it to be a big price break from the alternative provided by nancy)

I'm also hoping to add a bit more of a clean up crew such as some hard shelled snails.. I have a large electric blue (??) hermit crab I am going to keep.. my 4 stripe damsel is going to go to an LFS... my chocolate chip starfish will stay.. I have a rock full of mushrooms which I am going to carefully scour for aiptasia, and I plan to add another rock or two like this.

Possibly I am also going to add a heater set to 70 degrees so that the temperature never fluctuates far. I think it was a mistake to let it drop seasonally.

Any suggestions for this new tank are greatly appreciated, I'd like it to stay in this thread so that I can have a complete 'case history' on OCTOROK along with some 'lessons learned'. I am happy that I provided a good home for him for a long while, and although he has died I think that the information learned from him can let him LIVE ON :cyclops:

Robert (this time, without OCTOROK :()

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
:sad: RIP Octorok....I'm sorry to hear....Sometimes there are no answers....

Carol

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
RIP Octorok :angelpus: So sorry to hear of your loss, Robert.

Yes, it's hard to determine the cause of a death like that. I doubt if the water temperature has too much to do with it, since bimacs live near the shore and are used to temperature fluctuations.

The real question is why Octorok wouldn't eat - the little bimacs from Octopets are supposed to be given some non-live food before they leave home. Octorok didn't seem interested in any food. Maybe he was sick in some way.

A few octos won't ever accept non-live food, but the vast majority will. I would assume that your next octo will accept non-live food.
It's good to have plenty of amphipods in the tank for the arrival of your next octo and maybe some small hermit crabs - it will be a while before it can move up to something larger.

All the best,

Nancy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthSeaPugsNReefin

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean