Meet OCTOROK!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
About that inking - I don't think he would have inked if you hadn't shaken him off your hand. And maybe he was intending you give you a little exploratory bite - well, better while he's tiny! He's just trying to understand what you are. That he would try these things is a very good sign. I think you'll be able to have lots of interaction.

Yes, bimacs like to be swished around the tank. I did that with Ollie while she was hanging onto the feeding stick.

You could buy a small bag of frozen raw shimp - unbreaded and all that. Just take out a shimp at a time. I then sliced the sliced the shrimp into appropriate pieces, put all but one back into a small plastic bag in the freezer, and thawed out the small piece. Fresh shrimp are good, but unless you get them in a very high quality fish market, they are likely to have some sort of preservatives on them, I've been told.

So keep on playing with Octorok and be sure to tell us what he's doing!

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about the star, they can be quite loyal to resting places and will probably be stuffed from all the wast an octo produces :)

tjohnson

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I do keep a Chocolate Starfish with my Bimac. His name is 'Chip', no big suprise there. He will have times where he will stay in and area for a day or two then the next day, I will find him litterally doing laps around the tank, with a very suprising speed. So dont worry.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
only problems stars are the huge green brittle stars (serpent stars) they tend to overpower baby octopuses and steal their food!

rcl

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah my chocolate chip star did not move for the first couple of days and I figured he was a goner, but he didn't look 'dead'.. but then all of a sudden he started moving like crazy! Definitely gave me a scare for a while there!! As far as him eating, I hope he will make due.. because there's no way I see to really feed the guy short of putting him on top of food. I'm assuming this isn't neccessary

Funny story about my chocolate chip's name -- we have a friend called 'chip' who we sometimes call 'chocolate' as a nickname... and his real name is RICHARD VINCENT; so we named the star Vincent. :) Seemed natural..

I have been playing with octorok using my turkey baster quite a bit and he really seems to like tugging at it. My girlfriend brought over a very small rubber ducky today as a toy for Octorok, and we took turns putting it in the tank with him. She had been nervous about me getting an octopus from the start, so it was neat to see Octorok finally 'shake hands' with her. After being around a baby octopus for a few weeks it is amazing how someone's perception of them can change!!!

I also got brave again, as I had been spooked from the last encounter.. so I held out the rubber duck for the octopus for a while (He liked to tug of war at it with me), and then finally he ignored that and went onto my hand. I figured he was going to bite me, but I just figured I'd get it over with while he's young.. but surprisingly he did not attack me at all. He had his beak up against my hand all over, but instead he just explored for a while. I think he liked me because he tried to drag me back into his den!!

Some feeding news, I feed my fish a mix of some of the following: cyclop-eeze, mysid shrimp, krill, 'prime reef (tons of seafood stuff)', and brine shrimp.. I always feed by turkey baster, and since Octorok was attacking the baster I decided to give him a big squirt of the stuff -- and he ate it right up!!! All of his little arms were going after different pieces and pulling it into his mouth. Totally cool!

That's all for this episode..

Robert :cyclops:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
glad to now that everyone is coming round to the octopus :)... dont think I'll ever get my other half to clean out the tarantula tank though LOL

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
rcl said:
My girlfriend brought over a very small rubber ducky today as a toy for Octorok, and we took turns putting it in the tank with him. She had been nervous about me getting an octopus from the start, so it was neat to see Octorok finally 'shake hands' with her. After being around a baby octopus for a few weeks it is amazing how someone's perception of them can change!!!
Glad to hear everyone has gotten more comfortable together. I have to ask, what made your girlfriend nervous? Was she worried she wouldn't like the new pet? Worried about caring for a demanding animal? Or that you'd want to spend all your time at home with the octo? That the cat or other pets would drown trying to get the octo?

Maybe I'm blinkered, having lived with other people's tarantulas and monitors and such. The only thing I don't really want in the house are rodents.

Melissa

rcl

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Octorok Update September 30th

I have been getting my 8 legged friend to play with me lately by moving sand and especially larger pieces of shell (i have this in my tank) around with my fingers, almost 'stirring up' the sand. This almost always draws his attention and he reaches out some of his arms onto my finger right away! He'll then pull me and anchor himself with his other arms. Whenever I am in the tank he is calm and always climbing on me!

Tonight I think he tried to bite me but I am unsure. He had his head over my finger and then all of a sudden I felt a very sharp 'pinching' sensation on my hand. It happened several times, but no skin was broken.. I think either he was nibbling on my finger but couldn't/didn't break skin, or he was pulling extra hard with one of his strongest suckers (near his mouth). Any input would be appreciated.

I am kind of concerned about octorok's eating habits. He will eat frozen foods that I put in the tank for the other fish.. but he doesn' seem to get excited about any food I put in with him. This includes hermit crabs (small ones) and even clams. He will eat them but never seems very interested at first, and barely changes colors it seems... I think this happens when he is already full though maybe, as now for instance he looks to be hunting around the tank and is changing colors a lot.

He has grown some I can tell, but no measureable amount. He seems to be getting stronger and stronger though. I play with him every day still!!

As comfortable as he is with me, when I bring food into the tank it scares him a lot. The other day I was putting a clam near him and he actually jetted away squiriting ink THREE times. This is about the millionth time he has inked.. at first I thought that I was what scares him, but if I come into the tank "alone" he is completely fine and has never inked or anything, it's always when I bring food into the tank. I think maybe he thinks I am on the CLAMS' SIDE!!! At any rate I am pretty much done hand feeding him since I don't want to see him get upset and ink, but I might start it up in another month or so.

Over and out from octorok :cyclops:

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
Melissa said:
The only thing I don't really want in the house are rodents.

Melissa
What's wrong with rodents???? I used to have a pet rat! She was naturally very clean, affectionate and playful!

(I've also had a pet hedgehog!)

J

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
What temperature is 'Rok sitting at? Sometimes the warmer water an make them a bit more skittish...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soviadat

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards