• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Meet "Hank"

jjuchems

Larval Mass
Registered
My first Cephalopod arrived today from Quality Marine purchased through Liveaquaria.com as a "Caribbean" species. Was told by a friend he has seen similar species in the Florida Keys and they glow under moonlight.

I have pretty much had good experience purchasing from Liveaquaria.com however the majority of those purchases have been "Divers Den." Today UPS was the issue with flipped box on trip from truck to door and placed wrong side up as I approached my Glassdoor. Once opened I found the little guy inked himself in the bag. He appears fine one in tank.

Attachments

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Welcome to Hank! He really is a little guy. Glad he 's doing well. I'm looking forward to following his journal and seeing more photos.

Nancy

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I can't make a good guess at this point. In the last picture, is he/she showing distinct spiky bumps or am I looking at suckers that give that appearance. The green around the eyes is a characteristic of O. brearius and the peachy color in the first photo as well but they don't have strong papillae. Usually the skin of O. briareus is very smooth but they can display very tiny rounded bumps over the entire mantle.

Hopefully you will be able to capture more pictures soon but I believe this is a very young animal and it will be quite shy for several months.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Well, he didn't make it very long. I came home and found him dead today.
Sorry to hear this. Any clues as to what happened?

Members online