mdl octo philippeanes?

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by jimmy 22, Jun 11, 2008.

1. jimmy 22

jimmy 22 O. bimaculoides Registered

does anyone know what kind it might be? or has anyone ordered that one from marine depot? or what the others might be? i did order a 27 dollar one and got a adoptus. thanks

2. Keith

Keith Vampyroteuthis Registered

the only sites that i could find were for frozen octopus sales. the site im listing says its vulgaris. i dont know though. a lot of people throw bimac and vulgaris around as their own way of saying "i dont know"
    http://www.unionfishco.com/philippine_octo/details.htm

3. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

I would recommend only buying octopuses labeled small. Medium and large octopuses are likely labeled that because they are adults and you aren't going to have much time with one. If they are not an adult then they will be a species that gets too large for a typical aquarium and should be avoided.

4. Keith

yea. it would definately suck to be expecting something like a bimac, then get a really young GPO

5. shipposhack

Collectors know what octos to get. They know what there is a market for and what should be left in the ocean. While a GPO will not be collected, they will sometimes collect larger octos which is why you need to be careful ordering from a good source.

6. Keith

yea. im just tryin to avoid accidentaly getting a Hapalochlaena. i dont even wanna risk getting bit.

7. shipposhack

You shouldn't have to worry about that. There are some people that have gotten shipments of supposed other octos, which turned out to be blue rings but when you order online or from an LFS they will advertise that it is a blue ring.

8. Keith

sweet.

9. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I respectfully disagree. :grin: Collectors will generally collect anything the think might sell (and everything might sell), and generally don't have any info on what should be left in the ocean. If one kind of octo is good, so must others.

If they know it is a blue ring! A lot of the small players offering cephs don't seem to know what they have.

10. Keith

yea. that is unfortunate. the sellers im lookin at (which i found out about through you guys) seem pretty reliable. so im confident i wont end up with a super-deadly neurotoxin dispersing octopus that'll only live for a few months.