• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

McLovin/ Evelyn

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Ok today i met with Tom and he personally handed me my new octopus. It is a briareus that will be named either McLovin if its a guy or Evelyn if its a girl. It is a little bigger than i expected, with about a 2 inch mantle, hopefully its not too old. It is currently acclimating and i will move it into a critter keeper, inside its new aquarium soon. I will post pictures in a bit.

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
yea, i loved that movie. Right now it is about to finish acclimating and it has a spikey look with some reddish spots. It looks really interesting.

dreadhead

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
my briareus doent get that spikey look.Not very often anyway.Its a shame Ilove that look.

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
so it gets used to me before i let him free. That way it knows i bring the food and it wont hide for a week before deciding im safe. Welcome to TONMO!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
A two inch mantle for a briareus is not that old. It's mantle can be almost 5 inches long as an adult.

Congratulations on your new octopus, whatever its name may be!

Nancy

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
:welcome: both to the new octopus, and new user Redoc!

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Monty, your Geek is showing

I was referring welcoming a new forum member as:
both to the new octopus, and new user Redoc

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
dwhatley;108910 said:
Monty, your Geek is showing
Although that's certainly not unusual, I can't take geek credit on this; I was really just welcoming and didn't realize the Redoc cryptography tie-in so I think in this case, you've out-geeked me, D! :notworth:

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I just noticed that McLovin (im going to call him/her that for now until i am sure of the sex) has a weird brown spot on one of his arms. It seems to bulge out a little bit, but he seems fine other than that, is there anything i should be worried about? I will try to get pictures later.

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Ok im starting to get worried about my new octo. Now it moves in a way that almost seems as if it had hiccups. About every three to five seconds it "hiccups" and i can't figure out why. I just fed it a piece of scallop which he instantly took, and now he is eating it but upside down, partially resting on his head, or so it seems.. I had never seen this in my other octo, is this normal?

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
I think you are talking about a "bobbing" motion, kinda like its "nods". I think all the octos I've kept have done this. Not sure what the purpose is, but I think it's pretty normal. My little briareus likes hanging out upside down underneath a rock in the kritter keeper, kinda squished between the bottom of the keeper and the rock.

Pictures of the brown spot will help.

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
No, my other would do the bobbing motion, but this more of a violent flinching. I just went to check on him and he was completely laying on his head while flinching and he had the curly cue look. I felt this wasn't good at all so i decided to let him loose in the tank, the only problem is that the divider in the tank is not completely finished yet, so hopefully Fecha will be smart and stay one of her many dens and lay low for a bit, while i get the last parts that i need in the mail. I know it was risky but McLovin didnt seem like he was doing good at all, but now that i released him he is not laying on his head and his arms are stretched out, although he is still doing the flinching thing.

Members online

No members online now.