• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Longer taller

Burstsovenergy24

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Which is better a longer tank or a taller tank? I wanted to know cause if it really deep dont you have to buy really powerful lights?

As always ideas are appreciated!

Jesse

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
If it is for an octo than a longer tank would probably be preferred. However, if u did decide to go with a taller tank than lighting shouldnt be much of a problem seeing a octos dont neccesarily need lights (and if they do they certainly dont need to be bright lights).

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Well it won't really make a difference whether the tank is tall or long, as long as the octo has enough space. Fyi, longer tanks tend to look larger

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
one benefit toa longer tank is that they tend to have a better surface area for gas exchange... deeper tanks need extra aeration.

My current FW tank is 36"x30x30 and i really like that shape the depth and width allow a good scope for aquascaping

L S

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi Jesse, personally I would luv to hv a tank with 8ft in length and at least 2ft wide. Height wise I would keep it to 2ft, max 2.5ft. So long my arm can reach the bottom of the tank, cleaning and moving rocks and corals around won't be too much of a chore.

I guess the limitation of length is up to your space. Of coz the filtration must be sized right, which with enuf $$ can always be done right :P

Cheers, LS

Members online

No members online now.