Live Rock

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Green_Tree, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Green_Tree

Green_Tree O. vulgaris Registered

Don't now if im in the right sub-forum here but oh well.

My father and I are starting up a tank are looking for Live rock but having a little trouble finding any good suppliers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Please consider purchasing US aquacultured rock rather than wild collected or rock aquacultured from ocean rock. The US aquacultured rock starts as material harvested from land. Most foriegn rock is originally harvested from the ocean.

Most of mine comes from www.sealifeinc.com but then I have an affiliation with them and the coral reef restoration work Ken does so check out the different suppliers that interest you on the net to get an idea of the satisfaction with their rock and if what they provide is what you are looking for (not everyone wants the same think in LR).

4. Green_Tree

"Every time a cruise ship puts down anchor it disturbs or destroys the entire us annual consumption of live rock for aquarium tanks" End Quote

5. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:lol:

6. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Any chance you can site that? I've heard several speakers talk about the relatively minimal impact Live Rock collection for the Aquarium industry compared to other industries, but I think this is probably a HUGE exageration.

7. Green_Tree

I can site it to a speaker but beyond that i would have to do some research. I'll Look around and let you know what i find out.

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Saying someone else is more destructive than I am does not make me nondestructive. Fortunately, Florida created a program (other states as well but I am not familiar with them) that gradually eliminated (over 10 years I think) all wild live rock collection but fostered a new industry - and some exciting positive things coming out of that industry - to replace the wild collection with excellent results. Why would a aquarist (or anyone) buy from a destructive source when a nondestructive or replenishing source is available at the same cost?

9. Green_Tree

Because the wild grown rock is more established and has more growing on it than the aquacultured stuff. I'm not saying the aqua cultured stuff is bad its just quality depends on how long the supplier is willing to let it sit before harvesting.

10. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Aquarists should be concerned with more than their own hobby. Concern for the ocean environment should always come first.

11. Green_Tree

I agree that we should be considerate of the ocean environment and animals but if our use of live rock has no noticeable impact in the long run then I don't see a problem with using wild rock. But once again I approve of aquacultured rock as long as it is quality rock.