Live Rock

Green_Tree

O. vulgaris
Registered
Don't now if im in the right sub-forum here but oh well.

My father and I are starting up a tank are looking for Live rock but having a little trouble finding any good suppliers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Please consider purchasing US aquacultured rock rather than wild collected or rock aquacultured from ocean rock. The US aquacultured rock starts as material harvested from land. Most foriegn rock is originally harvested from the ocean.

Most of mine comes from www.sealifeinc.com but then I have an affiliation with them and the coral reef restoration work Ken does so check out the different suppliers that interest you on the net to get an idea of the satisfaction with their rock and if what they provide is what you are looking for (not everyone wants the same think in LR).

Green_Tree

O. vulgaris
Registered
"Every time a cruise ship puts down anchor it disturbs or destroys the entire us annual consumption of live rock for aquarium tanks" End Quote

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Green_Tree;146166 said:
"Every time a cruise ship puts down anchor it disturbs or destroys the entire us annual consumption of live rock for aquarium tanks" End Quote
:lol:

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Green_Tree;146166 said:
Any chance you can site that? I've heard several speakers talk about the relatively minimal impact Live Rock collection for the Aquarium industry compared to other industries, but I think this is probably a HUGE exageration.

Green_Tree

O. vulgaris
Registered
I can site it to a speaker but beyond that i would have to do some research. I'll Look around and let you know what i find out.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Saying someone else is more destructive than I am does not make me nondestructive. Fortunately, Florida created a program (other states as well but I am not familiar with them) that gradually eliminated (over 10 years I think) all wild live rock collection but fostered a new industry - and some exciting positive things coming out of that industry - to replace the wild collection with excellent results. Why would a aquarist (or anyone) buy from a destructive source when a nondestructive or replenishing source is available at the same cost?

Green_Tree

O. vulgaris
Registered
Because the wild grown rock is more established and has more growing on it than the aquacultured stuff. I'm not saying the aqua cultured stuff is bad its just quality depends on how long the supplier is willing to let it sit before harvesting.

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Aquarists should be concerned with more than their own hobby. Concern for the ocean environment should always come first.

Green_Tree

O. vulgaris
Registered
I agree that we should be considerate of the ocean environment and animals but if our use of live rock has no noticeable impact in the long run then I don't see a problem with using wild rock. But once again I approve of aquacultured rock as long as it is quality rock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsjklAhf888

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak