Lerxt

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by sedna, Dec 28, 2009.

1. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

After Pandora died, D hooked me up with this awesome briareus through her friend Lynn of Island Marine Life. It came almost 2 weeks ago (12-15-09). The packing job was phenomenal, the temp on arrival was 66.5 F, but it was in the 20's here in MI that week!

I have never had such a hard time getting an octo out of the drip bucket. The acclimation went fine and after 3 hrs it was ready to go in. It didn't hid in the LR that was in the bucket, so I was hoping it'd drop into the tank as others have. I opened the tank, drained off the H2O from the bucket into a pail and quickly held the bucket above the tank thinking that once dry, down it'd drop. It stayed put. I got nervous so I grabbed a plastic cup with tank H2O and held it next to Lerxt. The octo just grabbed onto the cup, too, but wouldn't budge. It seemed like a good idea to just gently nudge it into the cup with my finger. Of course, then it grabbed onto my hand, too. Now I was less an arm, holding a big Instant Ocean bucket over my tank with a stubborn octo hanging on...:sink: I used my left hand to splash the surface of the tank H2O and after a minute it finally got the idea and descended. Amazingly, no inking!

The first 2 days, I had no tank lights at all. It would come out to inspect us, 5-10 min. at a time, any time of day. Once I put the lights on a schedule, I didn't see it out before 11 pm. It was right up against the glass on the 3rd night and John measured the mantle against his thumb- 1.5 inches! As soon as it started coming out sooner that 10 pm, it was time to set up the X-mas tree- right next to the tank. Back to "out after 11." All this while, we did see it out in the morning, before 8 am. Finally, it is coming out as we eat dinner- popping in and out of hiding places. It isn't shy but keeps it's visits with us short, still spending a lot of time watching us from farther back.

It has eaten fiddler crabs, hermits and the peppermint shrimp that was living with it. D, I'd have to agree about the bad eyesight, I saw it try to get that shrimp a few times and miss, then give up. It took almost 2 weeks before it got that shrimp! Last night was the first time I tried stick feeding it grocery counter shrimp, no problem.

Attached Files:

2. OctopusBoy

OctopusBoy Cuttlefish Registered

Very nice octo:)

3. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Lerxt, as in trusted Rush Roady? How cool is that:)

4. sedna

I've been waiting for a good for such a great name, but that's the alter ego name for Alex Lifeson himself...

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

... and here I'm thinkin' something to do with Lex Lugar or some Bizarro World backwards equivalent (or at least until I looked it up :wink:).

How DO I pronounce it?

6. OB

Indeed! How could I forget!!!! Lerxt tongues in aspic :)

7. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Very beautiful octopus! I'm looking at the arm length and Inkler definitely has very short arms. All have been injured.

8. sedna

ob, King Crimson!? You are too super cool for me! :headphon: Do listen to Opeth, too?

9. sedna

Lerxt Rocks!

Well, of course he does, he's an octopus. I'm going with "he" only because it's namesake is a guy, and it just comes naturally. Elise insists on "she," since there's no good evidence to the contrary no one argues. The little string of arm has grown out more and is kept rolled up, but so are the other two regenerating arm tips.

Lerxt is without doubt my family's favorite so far. He comes out once the tank lights turn to red, so... I set the timing to 4:30 and he'll come out as early as that! His visits are still sporadic and short, longer if you give him attention. He seems easily distracted by other things, and for no reason will just cut a visit short. He'll continue to make visits all night long, though.

He has played with my had several times now, and it's different than any other octo. The others would only investigate with one arm tip, and concentrate on one of my fingers. Lerxt tugs at as many fingers as he can with 2 arms, and uses a 3rd to investigate the back of my hand- outside the water. It tickles and is distracting, and I'm realizing Lerxt is the first octo I've had where I'll really have to pay attention for escape potential. He's the first one I've ever seen spending extended time exploring at and just above the surface for fun.

Lerxt is not too sure about Bruce (the airedale). If Bruce barks too loud in the day while Lerxt is sleeping, I'll see a cloud os sucker shedding in the water. If Bruce runs up past the tank too quickly, Lerxt will hide for sure. I think Bruce is oblivious to Lerxt- I'm not even sure if a dog could see anything in a tank with red lighting...

10. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Sounds great! everything you are describing is just like Legs! eventually he/she should start coming out with the white lights on. I have cats and in the beginning they used to scare Legs when they were around the tank l but now she pays no mind to them.

11. DWhatley

SueNami hated the dogs and never learned to tollerate them (so, OK, some people would classify my dogs as horses as they are not small and their head are at mid tank) but KaySoh pretty much ignores them now so this is likely an individual animal think. The dog racing by, however, is likely to always send the octo into its den just because of the movement.

12. OB

PS: Isn't it Lerxst?

13. sedna

You're right, I've been spelling the name wrong! You must be a bigger super fan than me... As much as I love Rush, I loved hearing a darker side of him on Victor. Do you listen to Porcupine Tree? Lifeson did a great solo on their song "Anesthetize" on the "Fear of a Blank Planet" album. Steve Wilson (lead singer for P Tree) listed "Larks Tongues in Aspic" as one of the albums he'd like to hear remastered in surround sound. Also on the list... MOVING PICTURES (wouldn't that be cool in surround?).

Also, just joking about Opeth- Swedish death metal. My husband made me listen to some (at least it's not Neil Diamond!!!).

14. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I love Rush and Lerxst. I'm not sure I have ever heard Porcupine Tree, I'll have to check them out...

Opeth! sweet I love them!!! [​IMG]

:no_diamond:

15. OB

PT rule most awesomely, I have seen and heard them play live a couple of of times, quite embarrassing me as an aspiring musician with their sheer perfection. Opeth obviously were served well by Master Wilson, themselves. King Crimson's Robert Fripp is a very intense presence on a number of PT tracks, setting off soundscapes and eery background noises. For the uninitiated: Wilson was doing all kinds of stuff under the Porcupine Tree guise, but the Lightbulb Sun album really started it off, with In Absentia as the first true masterpiece (enter the clinical precision of Gavin Harrison, superseding the equally wonderful Chris Maitland). Every drummer should at least listen to the album once...

WRT Crimson, on PT's latest, The Incident, Steve "borrowed" the exact sequence of notes from the start of [video=google;313252524631448666]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=313252524631448666&ei=GkFCS-uALI7A-AbrlInYDw&q=red+crimson#[/video], tastefully, I might add!

I know.... :feet:

16. sedna

ob,If I wasn't already married I'd jump a plane to the Netherlands right now.

17. sedna

Lerxst (the octopus)

I've been having so much fun with music that I forgot to post about last night's encounter with Lerxst. It was after 10 pm and Lerxst was wide awake and had been playing at the surface of the water. I was going to stick feed him but the shrimp fell off and sank. to the bottom of the tank. I couldn't jab it back on to the stick, and Lerxst had retreated to the back corner, so I put my hand in to get the food out to put back on the stick for a second try. He rushed my hand and grabbed on with several arms. I didn't want to get bitten, and he was beginning to envelope my whole hand. I instinctively pulled my hand out of the tank, not all the way, of course he held on. His eyes were completely out of the water for a few seconds before he slid back into the tank. He continued to swim at the surface before he noticed the shrimp, then calmed down to eat. I have to say, I'm a little bit afraid of my octopus...

I don't consider anything to do with music or related stuff to be "wildly off topic!" Six degrees of separation can work for this thread- it's not like getting id request from a newbie on your journal page. Unless you want to start a different thread in the Supports Only forum for GOOD MUSIC :no_diamond: it's fun to talk with people who have even more like interests:zappa:!

18. OB

*blushes*

19. DWhatley

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

20. sedna

back to off topic...

Ha ha, charade you are! Master Wilson did a lot of "borrowing" for The Incident. The first time I heard it my husband was playing it on the basement stereo, and I thought he was listening to Les Claypool's "Live Frogs," second set. I knew it was Dogs, but I also knew it was NOT Pink Floyd. Again, Steve does a tasteful job of borrowing- right down to keeping in line with the lyrical "mood." He threw in just a hint of "The Wall," too.

ob, thanks for that KC clip, total mastery! I watched it with my husband and after reading your edit note he commented, "How could that be 'wildly off topic,' the name of the thread is Lerxst, after all." What instrument do you play? I don't play anything, but John play keyboards and "aspires" to play bass.

What has anybody been over playing lately? Them Crooked Vultures is still getting an almost daily listen. John Paul Jones is one of the most overlooked bassists around- and he's still got it! He also gets some funky 70's style organ playing into the mix- it was very cool to see him live. Dave Grohl is back to his punk speed drumming, but with more sophistication than ever. Of course, Josh Homme's deliciously dirty mind churns out plenty of cleverly suggestive lyrics that are just fun. My husband doesn't care for his style of guitar playing, but then I'm a bigger Queens of the Stone Age fan than he is. We saw them in concert before their album came out and they were still sneaking around underground. It was at a small place in downtown Detroit so they actually looked life size!

I also got the latest Black Crowes album for X-mas, "Before the Frost." I love those guys. Good old fashioned blues-rock and roll. I always ask John why he doesn't play more 'Crowes tunes because they are so simple. He says that's why I like them, they are deceivingly complicated.