Keeping multiple species of cutttle...

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Paradox, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Has anyone kept officinalis with bandensis?

I have both species at juvenile ages in seperate tanks, but was wondering if anyone knows how they would act towards each other if they were to be in the same tank. Has this ever been tried?

2. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I'm thinking that maybe the big discrepancy in size might result in officinalis dining on bandensis, but I'm no cuttle expert. It just seems that cephs don’t have a discriminating palate. Good question!

Cheers!

3. Paradox

Yes, Im not actually considering this, but this was a question ive always wondered. I know theres not much information about keeping cuttlefish yet, since the hobby is still within its infancy. Hell, the common knowledge up until maybe 6 months ago was that you should keep cuttles seperate and by themselves. I think this was a carry over from octopus keeping for recent tonmo members have shown they do fine in groups.

My officinalis is currently at 2 inches and my small horde of bandensis range from 3/4 to 1 1/4 inches.

4. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I like that! :mrgreen: How many you got and are they all together? I bet that's pretty cool to watch.

Cheers!

5. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:D

It seems true that groups that were raised together do fine together, but it is still important to not put adult, wild caught cuttles together (at least bandensis)!

I know you know this, but I am just adding it to hopefully prevent a future disaster!

:D

6. Paradox

Main board-Yes, they are hours of endless entertainment!! I have a group of 7 bandensis and one juvenile oficinalis, which I will need to find a new home within a month or so, because I will not be able to house it..

Hey Righty!!I have some of your eggs hatching! I forgot how small they are as newborns! Guess its Pod collecting time again. I need to hire a kid with too much time on thier hands to collect pods and crabs for me... I have a friend that decided he was interested in trying to raise a group of cuttles. Do you have any more available or have they all been adopted?

7. Thales

Pm'ing you now! :D

8. Thales

PS - swinging that they are hatching! I was getting worried about your eggs. :D

9. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

I have kept both species and would say that officinalis are much more aggresive at feeding and would likely try to eat bandensis, especially since they grow a lot faster too.

I haven't seen bandensis to be as voracious as officinalis. Bandensis are much easier to maintain in a 'friendly' group