Keeping multiple species of cutttle...

main_board

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
I'm thinking that maybe the big discrepancy in size might result in officinalis dining on bandensis, but I'm no cuttle expert. It just seems that cephs don’t have a discriminating palate. Good question!

Cheers!

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Yes, Im not actually considering this, but this was a question ive always wondered. I know theres not much information about keeping cuttlefish yet, since the hobby is still within its infancy. Hell, the common knowledge up until maybe 6 months ago was that you should keep cuttles seperate and by themselves. I think this was a carry over from octopus keeping for recent tonmo members have shown they do fine in groups.

My officinalis is currently at 2 inches and my small horde of bandensis range from 3/4 to 1 1/4 inches.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Paradox said:
Yes, Im not actually considering this, but this was a question ive always wondered. I know theres not much information about keeping cuttlefish yet, since the hobby is still within its infancy. Hell, the common knowledge up until maybe 6 months ago was that you should keep cuttles seperate and by themselves. I think this was a carry over from octopus keeping for recent tonmo members have shown they do fine in groups.

:D

It seems true that groups that were raised together do fine together, but it is still important to not put adult, wild caught cuttles together (at least bandensis)!

I know you know this, but I am just adding it to hopefully prevent a future disaster!

:D

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Main board-Yes, they are hours of endless entertainment!! I have a group of 7 bandensis and one juvenile oficinalis, which I will need to find a new home within a month or so, because I will not be able to house it..

Hey Righty!!I have some of your eggs hatching! I forgot how small they are as newborns! Guess its Pod collecting time again. I need to hire a kid with too much time on thier hands to collect pods and crabs for me... I have a friend that decided he was interested in trying to raise a group of cuttles. Do you have any more available or have they all been adopted?

Colin

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I have kept both species and would say that officinalis are much more aggresive at feeding and would likely try to eat bandensis, especially since they grow a lot faster too.

I haven't seen bandensis to be as voracious as officinalis. Bandensis are much easier to maintain in a 'friendly' group

Members online

No members online now.