Just got my first octopus!!!

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by binaryterror, Aug 22, 2006.

1. binaryterror

binaryterror GPO Registered

He is currently acclimating, and is 4" from arm to arm. He is sweet! I have a 2.5g hex tank inside of my 55g so I can spot feed him easier, etc. I ordered him from marinedepotlive.com. I needf you guys to help me name him! Here are the pics!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to the new :octopus:

3. Mizu

Mizu Vampyroteuthis Registered

Nice little thing

4. binaryterror

He was swimming around in the bag, and wasn't sressed at all! They even included a little crab for him to snack on during the trip here. I would highly recommend marinedepotlive.com!

5. binaryterror

He is already out and about as you can see, and I am really hoping that he will stay like this. I will try feeding him tomorrow. I am very excited!!! And yes I know there is a Clown Trigger in there. I think I may have just sold him, so the octo will be by itself! Thanks guys!

6. binaryterror

Well here are some updated pics, but I am wondering if you guys think this is too much stuff in there?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

******** Now in the third pic, on top of his head, he has something that looks like a scrape or something like that. But he was in the back with a hermit crab, so I was thinking the hermit maybe picked at him before it was eaten, or is it just some other type of mechanical injury? I am mainly wondering if any of you think it may be something bad? Thanks

7. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

I'm certainly no expert, but it looks to me like you're giving him a lot of enrichment. THey might be like little kids, however, and benefit from having their toys swapped every so often. Helps keep kids from getting bored with their toys, and it might work that way with octos, too.

8. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

that clown trigger will rip that octo apart... get it out fast

9. binaryterror

Yeah, that is why my octo is islolated. I am trying to sell him as we speak!

10. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Do you have another tank you could put the trigger in until he's gone? I think that even the small octopus might be able to overcome the weight of those shells if he decided he wanted to.

Dan

11. binaryterror

Thanks for the concern, but I just sold my Clown Trigger and he is picking him up hopefully tomorrow or Friday. Then the octo can be FREE!!!

12. thosewrights

thosewrights Pygmy Octopus Registered

:welcome: to your new octo. Did you name him yet? I think it is great that you put so much effort in providing entertainment for your little octo. :squidwar: :spongebo: :snail:

13. binaryterror

Thanks. I just fed him some FW feeder guppies, and he ate all 3! But I never got to see him catch them, I just noticed that they are gone! He seemed to really enjoy hunting them as far as I could tell. But no I haven't named him yet. I can't think of anything! I was sort of thinking about Henry. But who knows...

14. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

You do know about Henry the octopus from the Wiggles, don't you???

Attached Files:

15. binaryterror

Haha, of course! that is his new name! it's official... Henry The Octopus!!!

16. jc45

jc45 GPO Registered

You know, when I first saw his picture I thought he looked like a Henry... to bad I didn't post it earlier...

Joey

17. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I like Henry! We had a Henry too...........turned out to be Mrs Henry tho'! Very small for her species so she conned us into thinking she was a juv he (no hectocotylus and small size = juv male in this species.........mature females are usually BIG!)

FYI I wouldn't feed FW food too often, it's too fatty and can be lacking in nutrients for an octi, Marine species are better. FW food is a treat food!!!!

J

18. binaryterror

Ok thanks. I will feed my guppies a few times a week probably. But I noticed that he has always been sitting in the same shell with his head out. And he isn;t moving around like he was before. So is he just calming down and getting settled, or what?

19. binaryterror

I just fed him a hermit crab. The shell was as big as his mantle, but the crab is like 1/2" maybe. He stuck a tentacle in the shell and is trying to pull it out as we speak, but it looks like he is having a little trouble...

20. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

So can I now welcome Henry the Octopus?! And add him to the List of Our Octopuses, now that he has a name?

Maybe you should try feeding Henry a few smaller crabs. Have you also tried feeding pieces of frozen (or fresh) raw shrimp (thawed, of course, if frozen)?

We advise our members to avoid feeder fish - often these aren't in good health and may have received treatments that would be harmful to your octo - inverts (crabs, for instance) can't be treated with copper, so you know they're safe.

Nancy