Just got my first octopus!!!

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
He is currently acclimating, and is 4" from arm to arm. He is sweet! I have a 2.5g hex tank inside of my 55g so I can spot feed him easier, etc. I ordered him from marinedepotlive.com. I needf you guys to help me name him! Here are the pics!!

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
He was swimming around in the bag, and wasn't sressed at all! They even included a little crab for him to snack on during the trip here. I would highly recommend marinedepotlive.com!

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
He is already out and about as you can see, and I am really hoping that he will stay like this. I will try feeding him tomorrow. I am very excited!!! And yes I know there is a Clown Trigger in there. I think I may have just sold him, so the octo will be by itself! Thanks guys!

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
Well here are some updated pics, but I am wondering if you guys think this is too much stuff in there?

******** Now in the third pic, on top of his head, he has something that looks like a scrape or something like that. But he was in the back with a hermit crab, so I was thinking the hermit maybe picked at him before it was eaten, or is it just some other type of mechanical injury? I am mainly wondering if any of you think it may be something bad? Thanks

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I'm certainly no expert, but it looks to me like you're giving him a lot of enrichment. THey might be like little kids, however, and benefit from having their toys swapped every so often. Helps keep kids from getting bored with their toys, and it might work that way with octos, too.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
Do you have another tank you could put the trigger in until he's gone? I think that even the small octopus might be able to overcome the weight of those shells if he decided he wanted to.

Dan

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
Thanks. I just fed him some FW feeder guppies, and he ate all 3! But I never got to see him catch them, I just noticed that they are gone! He seemed to really enjoy hunting them as far as I could tell. But no I haven't named him yet. I can't think of anything! I was sort of thinking about Henry. But who knows...

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
binaryterror;78189 said:
Thanks. I just fed him some FW feeder guppies, and he ate all 3! But I never got to see him catch them, I just noticed that they are gone! He seemed to really enjoy hunting them as far as I could tell. But no I haven't named him yet. I can't think of anything! I was sort of thinking about Henry. But who knows...
I like Henry! We had a Henry too...........turned out to be Mrs Henry tho'! Very small for her species so she conned us into thinking she was a juv he (no hectocotylus and small size = juv male in this species.........mature females are usually BIG!)

FYI I wouldn't feed FW food too often, it's too fatty and can be lacking in nutrients for an octi, Marine species are better. FW food is a treat food!!!!

J

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
Ok thanks. I will feed my guppies a few times a week probably. But I noticed that he has always been sitting in the same shell with his head out. And he isn;t moving around like he was before. So is he just calming down and getting settled, or what?

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
I just fed him a hermit crab. The shell was as big as his mantle, but the crab is like 1/2" maybe. He stuck a tentacle in the shell and is trying to pull it out as we speak, but it looks like he is having a little trouble...

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
So can I now welcome Henry the Octopus?! And add him to the List of Our Octopuses, now that he has a name?

Maybe you should try feeding Henry a few smaller crabs. Have you also tried feeding pieces of frozen (or fresh) raw shrimp (thawed, of course, if frozen)?

We advise our members to avoid feeder fish - often these aren't in good health and may have received treatments that would be harmful to your octo - inverts (crabs, for instance) can't be treated with copper, so you know they're safe.

Nancy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pulpito

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak