Jebidiah is dying

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by DocFrye, May 23, 2005.

1. DocFrye

DocFrye O. vulgaris Registered

I am sad to say that Jebidiah is not himself today, and he appears to be dying. Two cleaner shrimp that have been avoiding him since his addition to the tank appear to be feasting on his arms. He is very pale and barely moving. He never laid eggs, but was visable (and sometimes spunky and comical) nearly every day for the last month (if you knew where and when to look - with a flashlight.) I enjoyed him immensely, and, even though I am terribly sad to see him go, I feel blessed to have shared some time with this amazing creature. Goodbye, Jebidiah. Goodbye.

2. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:sad: I'm sorry to hear! He was a dwarf right? There's no way of knowing how old he was but Rummler was a dwarf and I think I had her for 2 months.

Hope you will get another!

Carol

3. DocFrye

DocFrye O. vulgaris Registered

Jebidiah has been moved from the main tank to the sump to die in peace. I am contimplating euthanizing him, but my girlfriend and I could not stand to watch the hermit crabs meant to be his feed tear him to pieces. Does anyone here euthanize their octos when they know death is imminant? If so, how? Thanks.

4. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Sorry to hear about Jebidiah,

We occasionally euthanize our octis. The best way is to place them in a bucket/bag of water in the freezer. They just slow down and stop. I think it's somewhat similar to nature when winter seems to kill off the older animals.

Cheers

J

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Very sorry to hear about Jebidiah. :sad:

Nancy

6. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

They cycle of life and death cannot be avoided, but it still makes me sad to hear that your octo is dying.

7. silverarm

silverarm Blue Ring Registered

Sincere condolences. Even when we know that they won't live long, it's still hard us to lose them.