[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Jabba, Jool, Ziro, Zorba - S. Bandensis

@@cuttlegirl would you look at the white rings in post #77 and tell me if these are bite marks - thanks.

Didn't we used to have a quote button?

Yes those look like the aggression marks I used to see, don't know if they are bite marks or "hickies" Thales had some photos of marks like that too.

Yes we do and there is a nice new quote feature that lets you use only part of a post but it does not seem to be active (I need to reread how to use it before I mention it to TONMO). To quote a post (or multiples), click the "reply" button and the full text of the original will be placed in a new text area. Clicking reply on multiple posts will put all of them in one reply. If you only want part of a post you can copy and paste then highlight and click the editor icon that looks something like a flag (labeled insert). This will surround the highlighted text with
Code:
 [QUOTE] ... [/QUOTE]
but won't include the post information.

I thought I remembered something similar. Fortunately, they don't appear deep, seem to have disappeared (healed) and I am not seeing the attack behavior ATM but will keep watching.

Last edited:
No more eggs this week. The egg I found by itself egg is shrinking (I can identify it because there is a small piece of substrate attached). They are eating me out of house and home so we are trying to get them to eat frozen. The mysis I have on hand are really too small and I have ordered the Hikari jumbo flat pack (along with some frozen Grammarus (offering from Hikari, supposed to be larger than the Jumbo mysis but smaller than the krill that they won't touch). If I hand feed the frozen, three will eat from my hand but Jool (the smallest - left bottom in video still) only feins at it and rarely takes one. As small as these are, it takes an eternity to feed them. I still give them one or two live as well. I have experimented with timing and it seems that feeding the live first stimulates their appetite where starting with the frozen requires a lot more coaxing. Dumping several in the tank at one time sometimes works but mostly feeds the serpents.

If I offer live and they are very hungry, occasionally the shrimp does not make it fully to the tank, the cuttle ends up attached to my finger and I may get a small saltwater bath. I tried to encourage the behavior for videoing but the only sequence that was nicely in focus did not produce a cuttle attacking the shrimp. :roll: I will try again next week and if I can't get a decent video, I will combine the out of focus clips and post them.

I clipped this video to show all four out begging :biggrin2: Three know supper time and start hovering about an hour before I normally feed but the fourth is often very slow to the table. I think this is Zorba, a female, who may be slow to come out of the rocks to avoid mating. However, all four are being seen looking for supper some nights.

Gen 2 - 17 total eggs (Found 2 yesterday, 2 this AM and 1 tonight)

The last one may have been being laid when I offered food but I can't be sure.

First attempt to candle eggs

With a little more practice with my cheap macro lens and a slightly stronger light I may actually get an identifiable image :biggrin2:

Not Viable - This egg is prune shaped and opaque
candlingEggNotViable_01.JPG
Probably not Viable - This egg is attached to substrate and has remained small but round. There is a mass inside but no identifiable shape
candlingEggProbNotViable_02.JPG
Possibly Viable - This egg has an identifiable shape and eyes but I did not observe any movement
candlingEggProbViable_01.JPG

Gen2 - 4 more eggs this week 21 total (I need to count them as this seems like more than are in the net :roll:)

Physical inventory, 22 eggs.
eggs22Gen2_2_20140920.JPG

Last edited:
I can make out the head and two eyes so the last imaged egg is developing. Interesting that these are starting to lose their ink where the parents' eggs never did.

Gen2 - Two hatchlings today (and two more eggs in addition to 4 not yet recorded totaling 27)

I saw a white speck move in the egg net today and found a teeny tiny cuttlefish. I don't remember the foursome being THIS small (about the size of the positive bump on a triple A battery). I set up a new net, transferred it with a cup, photographed and promptly lost it. I don't know if it ended up in the tank or is just so small and so white I cannot see it. About an hour later I spotted a second one, slightly larger and found its egg case. The second is yellowish and I was able to find it after the transfer but didn't photograph it. I don't think there is a yolk sack attached to either one.
cuttlefishEggsGen2FirstHatchling.JPG cuttlefishEggEmptySack.JPG

Last edited:
Gen1 - Feeding Frozen

I am feeding the adults a combination of frozen and live. I found "jumbo" mysis from Hikari but had to order them on-line (not available in an LFS near me :roll:). These turned out to be a major disappointment. Their cleaning process makes them appear cooked and they seem to be tough. The cuttles are eating them begrudgingly and spit out a portion. I leave several on the Chaeto and they are gone by morning but I don't know if it is the cuttles or the clean-up crew consuming them.
cuttlefishEatingFrozenHikariMysis.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back