it's got hair on its tentacles!

main_board

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Cool! From the pictures the specimen looks to be in quite good condition given its ungraceful upheaval via trawl.

Cheers!

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Toren;103788 said:
What am I looking at here - are these TEETH instead of a beak?
No. Just something weird happening with the buccal bulb musculature (surrounding the beaks). The exposure is a bit low so I can't honestly tell whether the beaks are still in there (there's very little damage to the buccal membrane, so I guess that they are).

It would be so cool to have a squid with teeth! These (muscles) look more like dentures.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Steve O'Shea;104003 said:
No. Just something weird happening with the buccal bulb musculature (surrounding the beaks). The exposure is a bit low so I can't honestly tell whether the beaks are still in there (there's very little damage to the buccal membrane, so I guess that they are).

It would be so cool to have a squid with teeth! These (muscles) look more like dentures.
I thought I read that the beak was not described in detail on TOLweb because they didn't want to dissect the type specimen that much, so I inferred that the beak is in there somewhere in the pic... but maybe that was the sister species...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mathis

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak