• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

it's got hair on its tentacles!

main_board

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Cool! From the pictures the specimen looks to be in quite good condition given its ungraceful upheaval via trawl.

Cheers!

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Toren;103788 said:
What am I looking at here - are these TEETH instead of a beak?
No. Just something weird happening with the buccal bulb musculature (surrounding the beaks). The exposure is a bit low so I can't honestly tell whether the beaks are still in there (there's very little damage to the buccal membrane, so I guess that they are).

It would be so cool to have a squid with teeth! These (muscles) look more like dentures.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Steve O'Shea;104003 said:
No. Just something weird happening with the buccal bulb musculature (surrounding the beaks). The exposure is a bit low so I can't honestly tell whether the beaks are still in there (there's very little damage to the buccal membrane, so I guess that they are).

It would be so cool to have a squid with teeth! These (muscles) look more like dentures.
I thought I read that the beak was not described in detail on TOLweb because they didn't want to dissect the type specimen that much, so I inferred that the beak is in there somewhere in the pic... but maybe that was the sister species...

Members online