Isis O. bimaculoides NEW OCTOPUS Surprise from my Husband!

Oh - I read it the way Joe-ceph did!

This is a great thread but I'm sure traumatic for you sk. Seeing the octo ink like that must be an image that doesn't easily go away. Thanks for sharing so much of your detail - it is extremely helpful to so many people - novices, experts, and gawkers (I'm the latter).

You had mentioned that an eye seemed a bit off after the events - how does it seem now?

Interesting to see how resilient they are, and their ability to bounce back after so much stress.

dwhatley;167057 said:
Joe-Ceph,
I don't think she meant "freshwater" but fresh saltwater (vs tank water) that she keeps for water changes.

Exactly... I get my water from Galveston and always have about 45 gallons around for water changes. I had just emptied the last of one 15 gallon container into that bucket so I could go get more water yesterday. It was closest to me and she was filthy. As far as everything else goes the bucket was the best idea at the time... especially considering how much she inked when I put her in.

tonmo;167071 said:
Oh - I read it the way Joe-ceph did!

This is a great thread but I'm sure traumatic for you sk. Seeing the octo ink like that must be an image that doesn't easily go away. Thanks for sharing so much of your detail - it is extremely helpful to so many people - novices, experts, and gawkers (I'm the latter).

You had mentioned that an eye seemed a bit off after the events - how does it seem now?

Interesting to see how resilient they are, and their ability to bounce back after so much stress.

Well this morning she is still with us and all arms seem to be intact. As far as her eye goes it honestly looked swollen like what happens at the end for some octos. Her eye seems ok but once the house woke up and people started moving she balled up and is protecting herself so I cant really tell. Her coloring still looks off. She is obviously still tramitized and if she survives it will take her a good long time to settle back into Its a safe tank life

You are right... The amount of ink I will not soon forget. I was SHOCKED to see so much and how high she shot it. It was crazy.

She ate a small fiddler yesterday after the first episode. I hope she eats here in a little bit. Seeing her eat would be a world of relief right now.

Joe-Ceph;167055 said:
When you decide to take on an unusual new project, it's important to realize at the start, that you are likely to learn a few things the hard way, because there are hidden pot holes on the road less traveled. The only alternative is to chicken out from the start and not go for it. Close calls, and painful lessons, are part of the deal when you boldly try new and interesting things, so there should be a little pride and self-forgiveness mixed in with other things you're feeling.
As D said, I designed and built a self-latching top for my bimac tank, before I ever got an octopus. What she didn't know was that I was "smart" enough to do that because of having learned the hard way, as a kid keeping snakes, that I can't trust myself to remember to latch the top every single time I close it. Eventually I made the rule for myself that a home built snake cage must automatically close and latch every time I let go of the lid, but not until after had several escapes, and identified myself as the weakest link in the security system.

If it makes you worry less, remember that bimacs can handle life in the tide pools, which sometimes means getting rained on, so they can handle a certain amount of fresh water. I would guess that Isis will be fine.

Could you shoot me your "plans" for the lid you made? I will be also building up my 75 gallon and replacing my current lid. So a self latching lid would really help.

sk252006;167094 said:
Could you shoot me your "plans" for the lid you made? I will be also building up my 75 gallon and replacing my current lid. So a self latching lid would really help.

Here's a thread I started in "Tank Talk" about the top I built. I'll add a couple of thoughts to the end of the thread that may not be in the (long) text of my post. Feel free to add questions to that thread, or PM me if you want some help.

dwhatley;167057 said:
Joe-Ceph,
I don't think she meant "freshwater" but fresh saltwater (vs tank water) that she keeps for water changes.

sk252006;167088 said:
Exactly... I get my water from Galveston and always have about 45 gallons around for water changes. I had just emptied the last of one 15 gallon container into that bucket so I could go get more water yesterday. It was closest to me and she was filthy. As far as everything else goes the bucket was the best idea at the time... especially considering how much she inked when I put her in.

Ohhhhhhhh. That makes more sense. I'm a software engineer, and I tend to read things literally :oops:. I imagined that you must have been watering the plants or something when you found Isis, and just plopped her into the watering can :smile: . I take back my "OMG" and I no longer question your sanity. In fact, I think putting her in the bucket instead of the tank was a really smart move, and worked out very well. It sounds like you handled the emergency perfectly.

I think a bimac can handle five minutes out of the water no problem. I've often caught them at the tide pools and played show and tell with them for at least three minutes before letting them go, and they always act as thought it's no big deal. I would be surprised if Isis suffered any physical damage at all, and the PTSD will probably go away within a few days. Bimacs are built to handle life in the tide pools, and are very robust.

:bugout:As if to add insult to injury I discovered a leak in the tank. I have no idea what to do now :sad: Its a slow leak but I dont know how long it will hold.

My husband and I are looking to set the new tank up asap (the next day or two) but I dont think she could handle the move now.

Why is this all happening now!

She looks ghostly gray right now and isnt eating.

I just want to cry.

Could I use some of that foam people use to make rock walls in reef tanks to seal it for a few days... a week tops to give her time?

I don't think the foam will form a water tight seal (based on my understanding that it is know for taking on water when used with stucco and causeing water issues in housing). Additionally, if you get it into a crack and it expands, it might cause a much worse leak.

I have seen plumbing tape that is used to stop leaks in pipes but I don't know how well it works or if it would work on glass (likely available from your hardware store) but it is not expensive and might buy you some time if it works. The only problems I can think of with lowering the water and using a canister is keeping her from exiting where you install the new plumbing (Octane decided his first out of tank adventure was not all that bad after about a week and tried it again the next tank cleaning). You might attempt an outside patch with some kind of hard surfaced sheet (glass or acrylic come to mind) and silcone the heck out of it (silicone alone on the outside is not likely to work but attaching a hard surface might get you by). I think this would be the option I would attempt first.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back