Ink the Conehead!!!

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by corw314, May 7, 2003.

1. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Tonight, Ink is on the front watching us. He seems to do that alot more now. Hermin was quicker to be social. Ink seems a little more reserved but with attitude!

Anyway, I grabbed my camera to try to get a closeup of him, and he darts off the glass and goes into the classic conehead behavior. So bizarre!!! Wonder why they do this??? If I threatened him with my camera? Anyway heres the shots!!!

Carol

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi Carol,
    Interesting - I don't think I've ever seen Ollie do this "conehead" - did Hermin do it from time to time, and what do you think it means?

Nancy

3. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Hi Nancy!

Hermin did do this behavior quite a few times! Usually when I was watching him. I think I read somewheres on this board that someone else had observed this behavior too. Not sure what it means. Kind of thought maybe it's to scare me away, but in fun? Like Ink's messing with me!!!!

Carol

4. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

it could be a different type of camo? Maybe obscuring the outline of an octopus...

The 'aculeatus' i had did that all the time

5. sideways

sideways Vampyroteuthis Registered

Roxy does it all the time, but it never seemed to me that she felt threatened when doing it.