I'm getting a Bimac!!!

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Yes! after much persuasion my mom has allowed me to get a bimac octopus!!! (I'm in high school)She wont pay for anything because shes not too into it, so all the money i made working in the summer is going into this. But, i am just so happy she has "allowed" me to have one. These will be the specs of my tank, i just want to run it by you guys since this will be my first octo, though i do have a reef tank thats doing great.
Here are the specs:
55 gallon tank
15 gallon sump (with refugium including chaeto, LR and live sand)
c-360 canister filter
60 lbs of live rock
20 lbs of live sand
protein skimmer (havent decided on what model..)
Aquanetics 1/4 hp chiller

Thats all i can think of for now, any suggestions or advice is welcomed
thanks.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Nice that you'll be keeping a bimac! Since you already have a reef tank, you know that you'll have to cycle your new tank for three months before getting your bimac.

We're looking for sources of bimacs - check the Octopus Availability thread. There are other species that can be kept as well. You don't say how large your tank is.

Where do you live? Near a coast or inland?

Nancy

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
i mentioned that the tank is 55 gallons, which i was told would be enough. The tank has been set up and running for four months by a friend who planned to use it as a fish only with live rock tank but never did so i gladly bought it from him, thus im guessing it should be more than cycled by now, I just dont know if the move would make any levels unstable. I am currently searching for a source of bimacs, and i heard marine bio guy will send out some on monday so i PM'ed him though im not sure if i'll have everything ready by then. I also asked an LFS who said they might be able to get one. I live in Miami Florida about 2 and half miles from the beach, so i am planning on biking (im not old enough to drive yet) to the beach a few times a week to collect crabs, though i would love to get him to eat uncooked frozen shrimp too.
Like i said any suggestions or advice is welcomed..

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
The tank sounds fine, just make sure no copper treatments have ever been used in it, because octopuses are very sensitive to that. I would imagine it would remain stable after moving, but test it to make sure.

Almost all bimacs get used to eating thawed frozen shrimp, but giving him a couple of crabs a week is a good idea, too. Your bimac will be very small when he arrives. Maybe have some small blue-legged crabs and snails available for him. He may still be eating amphipods, too.

If you aren't ready in time for a bimac, maybe you could find a briareus locally (like Fluffy - look at that thread). Pretty much the same to keep, except briareus needs wamer water temperatures.

Nancy

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
yea i know there's collectors near here that sell briareus, but i read they were nocturnal, and i would much rather have a diurnal one, though the guy that was selling me his chiller backed out and i dont have the money for a brand new one at the moment so i might have to go for a briareus..
I was also considering a Fliosus or Hummellincki (however you spell that) as it is now called but i keep hearing about them mysteriously dying, so im not sure what to think of it. I would much rather a Hummellincki than a Briareus because they seem very playful and diurnal but the mysterious deaths keep me away...or was this only from the batch from Saltwaterfish.com?

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
yea i've spent the larger part of this day looking at literally everything posted with fluffy in it, including pics posted of her on other websites. I also contacted Tom the diver who should be able to get me one. Seems like everything might work after all =D Cant wait!

Members online

No members online now.