ID on an Indonesian octo. | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

ID on an Indonesian octo.

allison finch

Blue Ring
Registered
:grad:

Can anyone ID this octo? It was under a pier in Raja Ampat in Indonesia. It was approx. 6-8 inches and moved across the bottom as pictured, tall and narrow.

No one seems to be able to identify it. One guide actually tried to tell me it was a wonderpus. I hardly think so.

Sorry for the poor picture. It was a night dive.

DrBatty

GPO
Supporter
sure looks like an abdopus aculeatus to me....that stripe and the mimicry is a pretty good giveaway.
Aculeatus are all over Indo...they prefer tidal areas.....a pier would be a good spot for a little guy like that. :smile:

DrBatty

GPO
Supporter
allison finch;100450 said:
Thanks.
I am a true ceph fan and take lots of pictures of them whenever I can. Would love to have a tank for one, but I travel to dive too much.
Still great that you spend time capturing them to film. There are a lot of really talented and intelligent people on this site who are real experts at IDing - I just happened to get lucky [had an aculeatus before]. I always love to see pictures and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so you should definitely share more!

In case you're interested: Aculeatus are also called "walktopus" for their capability to use two arms to "walk" along the ocean floor - you can find video of this if you google it. They can also do a mean mimic of algae. They're also one of the few diurnal octos out there - very easy to observe during daylight hours. :grin:

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards