How to set my lights for octopus tank?

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
This is not a behavior I have seen or heard about. @Neogonodactylus has mentioned that he has seen a female appear to eat or destroy infertile eggs but I don't know if she is able to detect eggs that have problems since you are seeing eyes in these.

sensei

Cuttlefish
Registered
DWhatley,

the octopus has continued to take out the eggs outside her den. not sure why but it is happening. also I am seeing more black dots in the eggs. please look at photos attached.
any comments??
more octo eggs.jpg
lots of black dots.jpg

DWhatley

Staff member
No question about fertility, those dots are eyes. Can you tell if she still has a lot of eggs inside the den? Could she still be laying more and making room? The behavior has not been reported before so I have no good guesses as to what is going on other than that the eggs you are seeing are likely to continue to develop.

sensei

Cuttlefish
Registered
If I were to guess I would say that she layed just a little portion of the eggs there at the begining because she liked that placed for some reason and wanted to see if the eggs would be fine; since I did not touch the eggs and that little portion of the eggs was still there then she moved a big portion of the eggs to that place. Maybe she likes the flow there. In her cave I doubt there there is flow since I only have the flow from the return pumps becuase after I saw the eggs I did not place the koralias inside.

I will try to see if there are more eggs in her den and report back

now most of the eggs have eyes. does it mean soon they will hatch?
should I see any other change in the eggs before they hatch?
I could pulverize some coral food, and cyclopeze to see if they eat, but they will be so small there will be no way of knowing.

Thanks DWhatley

DWhatley

Staff member
You should next see smaller red/brown dots on the body as the chromatophores develop. I am not sure if you will be able to see it but the hatchlings will flip twice within the egg. Here is a link to hatchlings of a large egged species that are a little farther along. Because yours are going hatch before they are fully formed (very short arms, very few chromatophores, much smaller and will be pelagic) you may not be able to see the arms and mantle direction but the development will be similar.

As I mentioned before, feel free to try most anything you can find to feed them as well as experimenting with environment. We don't have much in the way of positive results but try to enjoy the wonder and photograph as much as you can.

sensei

Cuttlefish
Registered
DWhatly,
most of the eggs hatched 2 days ago. there are some hatcling in main dt and a lot in filter socks in sump.
should I return the hatchling form the filter socks to main dt??
I have feed reef roids twice. not sure if they eat.

some octo are still in eggs.
please look at photo attached. photo not so good becuase mother places them in a place twhere they more a lot with flow mature eggs.jpg
thanks for your answer

DWhatley

Staff member
Eggs may hatch over as much as a 10 day (possibly even 2 week) period. The eggs in the picture look very viable and should hatch.

I am not sure how to advise about the hatchlings in the socks. I would experiment by leaving some in the sock, possibly some in the sump and others in the main display. I am particularly interested to know if the ones in the sump live longer than the others but it will be hard to be sure if there is a difference, particularly since you still have many more to hatch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonPratt

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak