how to identify a squid from its tentacle

I think the biggest ring I've seen was about 15 mm diameter. The tentacle would also have smaller rings, but that's about the biggest I can remember.

D. gigas wouldn't be able to climb a rope out of the water. If it were to hold the rope by the tentacles only, then they would likely break off under its weight before it could be lifted out of the water. If it had a good hold of the rope with all arms, then the hooks would get stuck in the fine strands of the rope, preventing it from repositioning the arms to climb up. So all the people at anchor in Baja- sleep easy.

As was pointed out, the squid wouldn't have an instinct to "climb to get away" -- or to climb at all. But hanging onto something is different, and far closer to natural behavior it seems.
If it were to hold the rope by the tentacles only, then they would likely break off under its weight before it could be lifted out of the water.
Well, perhaps -- but the hydrostatic musculature is pretty strong, is it not? Are their appendages so weak as to not support that much pull?

The use of "tentacles" here is interesting, as that limits the grip to two of the ten grippers; would a squid just use tentacles in this case, and leave the arms unengaged?

mucktopus;170765 said:
I think the biggest ring I've seen was about 15 mm diameter. The tentacle would also have smaller rings, but that's about the biggest I can remember.

D. gigas wouldn't be able to climb a rope out of the water. If it were to hold the rope by the tentacles only, then they would likely break off under its weight before it could be lifted out of the water. If it had a good hold of the rope with all arms, then the hooks would get stuck in the fine strands of the rope, preventing it from repositioning the arms to climb up. So all the people at anchor in Baja- sleep easy.

Thanks for the ring size info. Regarding hooks getting stuck in the rope: are you saying that the tentacles/arms could pull away and leave the hooks there?

Level_Head;170810 said:
As was pointed out, the squid wouldn't have an instinct to "climb to get away" -- or to climb at all. But hanging onto something is different, and far closer to natural behavior it seems.Well, perhaps -- but the hydrostatic musculature is pretty strong, is it not? Are their appendages so weak as to not support that much pull?

The use of "tentacles" here is interesting, as that limits the grip to two of the ten grippers; would a squid just use tentacles in this case, and leave the arms unengaged?

Okay, I'm abandoning my character's anthropomorphizing re the squid behavior. I'll simply leave it with the description of the sucker rings hooked in the rope.

Thanks for weighing in.

Yeah they muscles are strong for what they need to do, but the tentacles alone can't hold the weight of the animal out of water. The arms are stronger, and several together can hold the weight, but their hooks would get stuck preventing climbing.

mucktopus;170842 said:
Yeah they muscles are strong for what they need to do, but the tentacles alone can't hold the weight of the animal out of water. The arms are stronger, and several together can hold the weight, but their hooks would get stuck preventing climbing.

Just to be sure I'm getting this right.... in my scenario the squid latches onto the rope IN the water, and then pulls away, leaving behind some sucker ring hooks. Is this plausible?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back