How many of you plan to buy a bimac this year?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Nancy, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out what happened to Octopets and whether someone will still be breeding bimacs to sell to the public.

I realized I needed some information from you - how many of you are planning a bimac purchase this year - or would be, if they were available?

If you read the Octopets thread (Journals and Photos), you'll see what I found out today. I hope to really know what's happening by the end of the week.

Nancy

2. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

in about 6 months i could possible buy one, but that would be after all my cuttles have gotten muture and gone to the big tank

3. stradjm

stradjm Cuttlefish Registered

Me!

I'm ready to buy one as soon as they are available. My skimmer is lonely with nothing to skim.

4. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Nancy,

I expect to purchase two this year.

My tank will be fully matured by the end of the month, so I expect to buy one as soon as available. If the little guy lives for 8-10 months, then I could conceivably have another one by year's end.

When I start talking about my bimac setup, eyes start lighting up at my lfs. I certainly can't speak for them, but I suspect not long after I get one, one or two of them might be ordering for themselves and/or a display for the store.

Nancy, thank you for doing this snooping. You're our octo-Woodward & cuttle-Bernstein. I hope you also ask on ReefCentral in the ceph forum. If the market is not adequate for the Aquafarm to rationalize a captive-bred program, I should hope it is enough to convince someone to catch wild-caught or tank-raised bimacs.

Dan

5. Mizu

Mizu Vampyroteuthis Registered

My Little Zim wont make the year so I will be looking to purchase one as well
    (new 125 gal tank incoming so might get an Octo or Cuttle for that as well )

6. tonyc

tonyc Larval Mass Registered

I just filled my tank and am ordering some liverock this week so I will want to order one in a few months.

7. bmatson

bmatson O. bimaculoides Registered

I am ready for one. I was a couple of weeks from ordering when octopets dissapeared. So if they are availble i would definately get one

Ben

8. lockburn

lockburn O. bimaculoides Registered

I'm ready to purchase one immediately..

9. DocFrye

DocFrye O. vulgaris Registered

Jebidiah is getting old (and huge - over 3 ft armspan tip to tip.) When he passes, I was hoping to order a bimac.

10. marinebio_guy

marinebio_guy Vampyroteuthis Registered

Breeding octopus

Soon (in the Summer), I might try breeding octopus/cuttlefish for the public in small amounts. But I am still working it out. I will let you know when I do.:smile:

11. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Well, it is sad to see a true pioneer out of the market, but I can certainly understand it...with the art market the way it is, we are having to hack and slash at our projects also.
    Luckily, the project for breeding O. digueti is still on the table, and moving forward, albeit slowly. They can't be collected until July, so I suppose I still have a few weeks to go before panic sets in.

12. rj10018576

rj10018576 Cuttlefish Registered

i plan to get one in a month or two.

13. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

well if i cant find a briareus sometime soon i might try a cuttle or two but ill just have to wait another few weeks before i find out which

14. dbrooks

dbrooks Pygmy Octopus Registered

I plan on buying this year. BTW, I live about 30 minutes from the Octopets store (if they actually have a storefront). Has anyone drive by to check them out? I also work with a woman who's sone is a close friend of the Octopets owner...will use that angle if there is no other way to get info...

15. Black96WS6

Black96WS6 GPO Registered

What happened to Octopets????? :confused:

*....going off to read Journals and Photos thread now....*

16. Black96WS6

Black96WS6 GPO Registered

I also live in San Diego. I have been to Octopets, they're inside the big power station, they rent space from them since they're right on the lagoon. They don't really have a storefront.

I drove up there last May to pickup Thomas, who is still doing well. We estimated he was about 3 months old when I took him home, so that would put him at about 12 months of age right now.

I haven't read the other thread yet, I hope OctoPets truly isn't out of business! When I was there, he had these large tanks of scores and scores of seahorses, and cuttlefish eggs as well! Search for my old post to see, it was awesome! What happened???

17. Mizu

Mizu Vampyroteuthis Registered

one thing about selling octopus you will always have a refreshing market as Octos only live for a little bit.
    repeat buisness is garunteed.

18. jon_bondy

jon_bondy Cuttlefish Registered

I had hoped to purchase 3 cuttlefish and 3 octopuses in May. Sigh

19. m8298

m8298 Cuttlefish Registered

I was planning to buy one in a few months, when my tank is good and established.

Anyone have any idea how difficult they are to breed? I understand the issues with feeding both the adults and the babies. But how difficult is it to get them to actually breed? Octopets was breeding them, not harvesting eggs from the wild, right?

20. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Yes,
    Octopets was raising them, but they were actually connected to the ocean, so raising plankton-feeding babies was a little easier than for us in landlocked (oceanlocked?) states.