Hi im joe im new to the forum

josephw

Cuttlefish
Registered
I moved back to Oregon about a year ago and I'm preparing to get back into the aquarium hobby and make the jump from fresh to saltwater, most of my experiences come from south American and African cichlids. Next payday ill be purchasing a 55-75 gallon tank new from a store along with at least a 20 long for my sump build. Other than that I'm just researching equipment, saltwater tank maintenance, and diurnal octo species. Interested in the bimacs but something a little smaller and more tolerant of warmer water would be better. This is a great site with great resources and I look forward to learning from you all.

:cuttlehi: @josephw You will want to leave room above your sump for a skimmer, so research the height requirements (you will need to be able to remove the collection cup) before deciding on a stand.

I do need to start shopping for skimmers. Any suggestions for one that doesnt break the bank but isn't junk? I don't mind spending a lot if I need to but if I can save some I can put it to use on otber things ill need

Any suggestions for one that doesnt break the bank but isn't junk?
I have never owned a high end skimmer but have owned a few that cost between $30 and $350 and have found the Coralife brand to be the best within the range. They are also the only skimmers that most aquarists agree are correctly gallon rated (most others you need to halve the gallon rating).

how is it maintaining the coralife skimer your running and is it the super skimmer or cone model? I'm looking at those two and a reef octopus model

I use 3 variations of the Super Skimmer, depending on tank size and overhead height. One of the sizing advantages of the Super Skimmer is that it only requires about an inch of overhead clearance (beyond the actual height of the skimmer and cup) to remove the cup. Very easy to remove the cup and clean it. I place a filter sock under the return for more filtration and elimination of bubbles (not specific to the Coralife brand)

I use 3 variations of the Super Skimmer, depending on tank size and overhead height. One of the sizing advantages of the Super Skimmer is that it only requires about an inch of overhead clearance (beyond the actual height of the skimmer and cup) to remove the cup. Very easy to remove the cup and clean it. I place a filter sock under the return for more filtration and elimination of bubbles (not specific to the Coralife brand)
Do you know of anyone that uses the seaclone model of skimmer from instant ocean? They are hit or miss on reviews which I've noted for lots of higher end models, a lot of these bad reviews for any brand or model seem to be due to people not correctly setting up their skimmer or allowing break in time

I have not gone skimmer shopping for a number of years so I am not familiar with the Instant Ocean brand and have not seen any incidental postings, sorry.

I have not gone skimmer shopping for a number of years so I am not familiar with the Instant Ocean brand and have not seen any incidental postings, sorry.
Its all good, I found a couple good reviews one from somebody that used it to keep a Bimac. Btw I saw a few of your YouTube videos, very cool stuff.

Btw I saw a few of your YouTube videos, very cool stuff.
Thanks! I have been remiss in filming/journaling much with ET (current O. hummelincki), He has been with me for nine months now and is definitely in senescence (not eating, doing odd things -- like crawling around on a glass support that put him fully out of the water. Unfortunately, I did not video). That being said, I will request that you journal your adventure from set up to first experience :smuggrin:

Thanks! I have been remiss in filming/journaling much with ET (current O. hummelincki), He has been with me for nine months now and is definitely in senescence (not eating, doing odd things -- like crawling around on a glass support that put him fully out of the water. Unfortunately, I did not video). That being said, I will request that you journal your adventure from set up to first experience :smuggrin:
Oh for sure I've been wanting to do this since I was a little kid So ill be sure to get some pictures and record what happens along with the tank setup. I actually plan to get started on that this weekend somewhere in between a valve gasket replacement and my biweekly dungeons an dragon's game. I'm gonna go pickup a tank, an maybe a tank for the sump as well. Something I was curious about, I read that petco or petsmart owns live aquaria and live aquaria has common brown octopus listed for sale does that mean I can order one through petco? Idk if I'd trust them to do it but I'm curious

Yes, Petco acquired Drs. Foster and Smith and Live Aquaria.. No, you can't (yet) order the Live Aquaria offerings through PetCo.

Maybe it is time to start thinking about an electric? (full disclaimer, I bought a Model 3 last year)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back