• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hawaiian Bobtail Squid

I would kill to have an O. Cyanea. I am extremely jealous. I too have a 250 gallon with a 55 gallon sump and glass tops. If you're able to get a small one and are able to ship please PM. If the price is good I'd be more than willing to compensate your for it.

Particulate filtration is not clear with this set up so you will have to describe how it works but you will want to add a skimmer and I don't think one large enough for the tank will fit in the back. If you don't want to add a sump (my personal choice) you might examine the set up to see what it would take to remove the back chamber and place filtration on one end. You will want to move water from the far end if you consider something like this My 60+ is set up this way (but I don't use the side chamber for filtration as we have drilled it and added a 35 gallon sump) as well as LMecher's 120

You can get a reef fish collectors liscense here for cheap. Lots of locals do this and sell their catch to LFS.

That interesting, everywhere else in the US it is a nearly impossible to obtain that license, in fact in most states they do not even issue any new licenses; so to get one you have to buy a boat that already has the lic.. I hope it is easy for you, a new source for octos would be great!

I'm gonna need to learn a lot before I try shipping octos. I haven't even kept one yet! But yeah if you guys can give me some pointers, I'll do my best. They are definatly plentiful out here. Problem is finding the baby ones, or raising them.

Got the 250 gallon tank! I'm gonna start a thread on tank talk and post some pics. I'm kinda at a loss at where to start so any ideas/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can probably ask a local fish store for pointers on how they ship their aquatic live stock. I forget the amounts, but basically take a plastic bag with about 2/3rd water and 1/3rd pure oxygen(or vice versa) and seal it up tight, then place it in a second bag and seal that up tight. Then ship it out on the fastest shipping method possible and hope for good weather lol.

iAlex;181127 said:
How large are we talking D? Like a Vulgaris? Or bigger?

Yeah about vulgaris sized/bigger. Mantle length can get up to 190 mm easy, and the arms almost a meter long- big animal used to covering a lot of ground in a day. Definitely not a good aquarium species.

For the GoPro- they work great on land but not very well (yet) underwater. They can handle the depth and the lighting conditions, but the problem is the optics of the housing--they have a dome port and only the very center of the frame is moderately in focus. The rest is super blurry. For underwater work with this particular camera you need a flat port housing. I think/hope they're working on this though.

GoPro with a third party mod housing, Sartek or EyeofMine, works just fine. I have 2.

Hawaii has a lot of cephalopods, I've observed and filmed Day, Night, Rock and Crescent octopuses in the last 2 weeks. There are also reef squid, Euprymna and occasionally open ocean cephalopods here.

ceph;181612 said:
Hawaii has a lot of cephalopods, I've observed and filmed Day, Night, Rock and Crescent octopuses in the last 2 weeks. There are also reef squid, Euprymna and occasionally open ocean cephalopods here.

I'm so jealous. Land locked in Dallas, TX with the nearest body of saltwater being the drab muddy Gulf of Mexico.

I was working off a pier in Honolulu earlier today and saw three large squid just hanging out under a floating stick close to the surface. They were changing colors rapidly. I've never seen them so close to land. I watched them for a couple minutes before I had to get back to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back