Great Pacific Octopus | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Great Pacific Octopus

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,887
#2
the short and approximate answer is that cephalotoxin is a neurotoxin for crustaceans but doesn't have much impact on vertebrates, although injecting any random protein into yourself risks allergic reactions or infections from the wound.

The standard reference seems to be this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4853965

Toxicon. 1974 Mar;12(2):109-15.Click here to read Links
Purification and composition of a toxin from the posterior salivary gland of Octopus dofleini.
Songdahl JH, Shapiro BI.

which I don't have. It's summarized in this paper:

http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/refdb/pdf/7298.pdf

which says:

A toxin purified from the PSG of Octopus dofleini (Songdahl and Shapiro, 1974) gave a single constituent toxic to crustaceans. Its molecular weight indicated by SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, was 23,000 ^ 1000 Da.
In general, coleoids that aren't blue-rings or Eledone cirrhosa have a variant of cephalotoxin, which is neurotoxic to arthropods and probably other invertebrates (it causes tonic paralysis like many insecticides do) but not toxic to vertebrates.
 

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,887
#4
Octodude;114886 said:
Thanks, monty, for the links. They are helpful.:smile:
glad to help. If you get a copy of the 1974 paper, it'd be awesome if you posted a summary of the details.
 

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Mar 17, 2003
Messages
662
#6
I would not want to be bitten by O. mototi either.

From personal experience, a bite by O. rubescens and O. fitchi seems worse (more inflamation) than those of other species that have bitten me.

Roy
 

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,887
#7
Has mototi been confirmed toxic? That's the one that the local natives say is poisonous, right? I can't find any refs in google scholar that describe its toxin, but rumors of toxicity seem like a good reason to avoid bites, of course.

there's an article about rubescens bites here:
http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/octobite.php
 

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards