Fun Poll: Which of these would you like to see discovered?

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
As things are usually quite serious around here, I thought we might have a fun poll.

If you had the power to restore one of these extinct marine invertebrates to the modern oceans, which would you choose?

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Boy...thats a toss up between the giant nautilus (ussesss?) and the sea scorpion...
But remember, when the elder ones (or is it the old ones?) come back, all that stuff comes with them too!
Yaaaay.
Greg

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
We know what all those animals looked like alive, except ammonites, so just a glimpse of a live one would be wonderful. To put them in the oceans today would give Steve & Kat way too much to do. And I would have to move closer to the sea and take up scuba. But what would I do with my poor old jackass Maybell? :(

:ammonite:

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Kevin, ammonites, but for a far more frivolous reason - their fossils structure is so pleasing and pretty, I'd like to see one in motion. No matter how many trilobite cookies I eat, I'm just not as excited about trilobites. But I'll post a photo of a trilobite fossil that was given to me soon.

Melissa

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Architeuthoceras said:
We know what all those animals looked like alive, except ammonites, so just a glimpse of a live one would be wonderful. To put them in the oceans today would give Steve & Kat way too much to do. And I would have to move closer to the sea and take up scuba. But what would I do with my poor old jackass Maybell? :(

:ammonite:
You just tell us what sort of environment to look in and we'll happily go in search .... we'd abandon all else at the drop of a hat!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I would normally go for ammonites or belemnites but I think Hallucenogenia is just tooo weird & I'd loove to see one in the flesh (so to speak!)

J

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
No-one chosen the trilobite yet? Those things were not as popular as I thought!

Good choice Jean!

Here's a picture of a fossil and a recent reconstruction of Hallucigenia from the Cambrian Chen-jiang fauna of China. This animal is so weird it was named after a hallucination! Originally reconstructed as marching along the sea-bed with seven pairs of spines forming the 'legs'; it is now thought the animal was reconstructed upside-down. The animal probably walked along on tube feet with the spines running along its' torso projecting upwards. The 'head' is always indistinct and shows no clearly defined sense organs. The animal was probably related to the velvet worm, Peripatus, as part of the Onychophora and examples covered in armoured plates have been discovered in China.

Very strange indeed.

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Steve O'Shea said:
You just tell us what sort of environment to look in and we'll happily go in search .... we'd abandon all else at the drop of a hat!
Just have Kat set the Way Back Machine for a really long time ago.....

:madsci:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stablizo

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak