For Souther California Residents

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by Joe-Ceph, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Joe-Ceph

Joe-Ceph Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

I was at the Birch aquarium in La Jolla (San Diego) on Saturday, and they were doing a breeding experiment with their Giant Pacific Octopus. They had put a large female in with the male they normally have, and the male was very active, trying to convince her to mate with him (and not kill and eat him). I've never seen so much of him, and it was great to see a large female. I don't know how much longer they'll keep them together, but you should check it out if you can.

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Sounds great! I was there last summer and the GPO they had looked terrible. Cork-screwed and very pale, eyes were very dull. The GPO at the Sea World there on the other hand was very lively.

Hope she isn't a Dominatrix!

3. Keith

Keith Vampyroteuthis Registered

The one i saw a few years ago at monterey bay was not very healthy looking either.

4. marineboy

marineboy Wonderpus Registered

I have yet to see the new octopus at sea world, but it is definetley on the to-do list for this summer. Whenever I used to visit Sea World as a kid I would always ask them if they had an octopus exhibit and was very disappointed that there was not one. I am so happy they finally have one though and I hope there arms stretch out to even more of the cephalopod family.

5. Keith

Keith Vampyroteuthis Registered

sea world is hella cool. i havent been there in like a decade.