Food Network Horror Show

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
For those of you with the Food Channel, and a strong stomach, they are having a back to back "octopus battle" on Iron Chef tomorrow night (saturday)... :x
You will see octopus breaded while still alive, cut into little pieces while trying to escape...all the things that make you shriek.
:shock:
I will be avoiding the tv at all costs...
greg

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
2 in a row.... SWEET......

oh quit whining..... go join pakoc if you object..... :roll:

kobe and sakai... dont worry im sure theyll be more tree hugger friendly than chen or michiba/morimoto would.... given the western style....

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
I'd forgotten all about P. man...wonder where he got to? :biggrin2:
Shanlyn was aghast at the use of live animals in breading...I got to admit, there is nothing that makes me very hungry about consuming live animals...I even kill lobsters before I boil them.
Those guys make me laugh...last week they served whale meat/blubber in one of the dishes and two of the tasters wouldn't eat it due to political concerns...you have to chuckle !

OctopusV

GPO
Registered
I have nothing against eating the fellers, I just want them to die comfortably, with minimal pain, they could at least freeze the little guys first.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I notice that even the best cooking resources (such as Cook's Magazine) now want you to kill lobsters before cooking. (There is a simple, quick way to do this.) This is a change from some years ago. Lobsters were the animal most subjected to being cooked alive.

Nancy

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
i havent watched my tape with the double octopus battle yet, but in a show with morimoto vs flay from a couple years ago, bobby flay (who i personally dont care for) was using squid ink in a rock crab battle.....

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Flay's problem is that he comes off as a snob...I mean, Wolfgang Puck is more people friendly!
Whenl you think about it, cephs probably are a pretty good food source...I mean, the animal reaches mature weight in two years or so...and reproduces like a bunny !
But breading them while still alive? Not for me.
greg

um...

Architeuthis
Supporter
Burstsovenergy24 said:
Unfortunatly, its also, HIGHLY poisonous. Oh well. :|
Only until they reach a certain age are they highly poisonous. Your typical senescent sea badger is little more toxic than a bean burrito from Taco Bell. As long as you consume less than half a kilogram every 48 hours, you should go on living. Though you may not want to after consuming that much sea badger (or bean burrito). :yuck:

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
finally watched the tape of the double octo battles..... i was surprised sakai was so squeamish about handling live ones.... i think they were kept live for two reasons, freshness and to add a bit of difficulty... if you never cleaned an octo, it can be a challenge if you dont have the right tools... actually, even with a good knife it can be a fight... if i had to guess id say it was vulgaris for kobe, vulgaris and gpo for sakai.... sakai didnt go for the gpo but the challenger (kandegawa i think) did give it a whirl.... i'm a little annoyed... they played them out of chronological order, so the commentators spoiled the ending of the next episode.... the shouldve thrown chen's octo battle in and made a night of it.....

in one broadcast on sat, (2nd half of 21st cent battles) morimoto used some previously dead octo in a stew with japanese lobsters...

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Tonite's IC was supposed to be dried cuttlefish, but it turns out to be live squid... still watching but sakai already got bit by one of them :thumbsup: .... once again sakai was squeamish about handling the life cephs... i didnt see any of them ink when pulled out of the tank, but several sprayed water all over the place....

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
I believe one of the octopus battles is coming on now on food network....sunday, 7pm est.... if im not mistakes its the first of at least 2 where sakai is squeamish about handling live cephs.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Girliness

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak