Filters

b25oshea

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
RE:

I thank everone for their advice...
Although rrtanton did say that live rock did ct as a good biological filter as well as being aesthetically pleasing, due to my circumstances I am afraid live rock is out of the question. This is becuase I need the entire tank space, because I plan to perform scientific experiments for the science fair on consciousness and behavior. In addition, the cost is high (even though in Valpraiso the prices are cheap) and lighting would add to this cost.
Therefore, I wish to ask whether I could use the Magnum Pro 350 with a Seaclome skimmer and still manage to keep a healthy and stable tank without live rock.
Thank you,
Michael O'Shea[/i]

lawfish

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Michael:

As much as I love live rock, if you can't afford it then you can't afford it. I will note that you DO NOT want to leave the tank completely open. Your octo will need plenty of hiding spaces to feel secure and be healthy.

As for the Magnum seaclone combo. I have kept healthy marine tanks with worse equipment, but keep in mind that you must keep a close eye on your water parameters. Particulary because the seaclone skimmers, while inexpensive, are not that great. (I know because I have several!!) As an alternative to the seaclone you may want to check out [/url]http://www.fishsupply.com/cgi-bin/f2/common/store.cgi?dbname=f2&path=top/X/XS They have WON Brothers skimmers which are quite inexpensive as well. (can be used in -sump or hang on) you will need to purchase a water pump for these skimmers but even with the additional cost the total will not be much more than a seaclone, probably about $85.00. The Won Brothers Clean Up 75 is $59.95 and you can get a Surge 3500 water pump for $24.99 at http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?inSupplier=&inKeyword=&inCatID=34:Water+Pumps&inSub=&inStartNumber=44&inFinishNumber=44&inUID= The Won Brothers skimmers are not as good as the much higher priced skimmers but I've found that they do an excellent job. (Pulling out far more gunk from the water than the seaclones do. Hope that this helps. Here is a pic of the above-mentioned skimmer in action.

rrtanton

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Ah...I understand better now. And you certainly don't NEED live rock. One possibility is a sump, as mentioned above. 'Tis my understanding some people use live rock in sumps. And just in case I confused you, live rock doesn't need light...it sounds like your tank won't need anything but very basic light. But that's somewhat less reason to want live rock anyway, since part of having it (I think) is seeing it.

Didn't I see somewhere that someone's selling sumps with integrated skimmers and wet-dry filters?

rusty

b25oshea

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
RE:

Thank you for all of your responses
However, rrthanton I don not have the money to buy a sump…therefore I will attempt to get by with a Magnum 350, Aragmax Sand, a Seaclone skimmer (or a different, better one), and cheap lighting. Thank all of you for your responses.
Michael O’Shea

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Michael,

you could use lengths of plastic piping (food grade quality) to increase the hiding areas rather than rocks..... a lot easier to move and cheaper too :)

C

rrtanton

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
I also look forward to thinking up toys of some sort in the future. Good luck, and keep us updated on how everything goes!

rusty

b25oshea

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another Filter question

I recently spoke to the head of a local salwater aquarium, and said that a 20L would be suitable, with a Bac-Pak 2 for protein skimming and biological filtration, and a Fluval or Magnum 250 for mechanical and chemical filtration.
Is it possible that this man is right, or does he probably have little experience?
Also, I have read in a post about an octopus dying during acclimation. Is there a specific technique or process that should be used for acclimating, or should I simply "float the bag?"
Thank you,
Michael O'Shea

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Michael

For acclimitising an octopus i normally empty the water and the octopus out of its bag and into a bucket. I then syphon water from my octo tank into the bucket through a piece of airline. Until the water is 50/50 and then i think it is ready... takes about 45mins or so.

To get the octo out can be a pain, normally i put in a plastic pipe and the octo crawls in and i lift out the pipe and put it in the octo tank. I always, always discard the water that was in the bucket!

Having said that though, my briareus craweld up the side of the bucket and plopped straight into my hands! so use a bucket with a lid LOL!

C

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Colin - Good Morning!!!

That was my next question!!! Lid!!!! Hermin would have been gone had I taken him out of his bag to acclimate. I left him in after pouring some of the water out, and stuck the air tube in and rubberbanded the bag again!He was one of those that tried to escape out of the bag all the way home from Pa!! Ya know climbing out of the water across the top of the bag!

Carol

b25oshea

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Oxygen

I am concerned about oxygenation for the tank. Will a Bak-pak 2 and a Magnum 250 supply enough oxygen, or will I have to use other forms of oxygen? If so, can two powerheads be used, and what kind? Or, will even the powerhead not supply enough oxygen? If so, what other forms, can be used?

Thank you,
Michael O’Shea

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
oslando33 Cuttlefish Care 1
Charlo Octopus Care 5
Dwight Tank Talk 1
Dwight Octopus Care 2
C Tank Talk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics