• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Filtered Seawater from the ocean, low salinity

Thanks for the links CG. I have heard of chloramine and that it was used in purifying drinking water but had no clue that is was, of all things the combination of chlorine and ammonia (something you should NEVER mix at home!). I also did not know that carbon would not remove ammonia. The one thing I did note is that both excellent discussion are several years old and I wonder if there are standard filters not that do remove the ammonia part of the mix.

I never thought I would be glad for my naturally acidic water but IF it is in my water supply, my 6.0 or lower PH water should keep the ammonia in the easily removed range in the DI sand bed. I have seen people report low ammonia in well established thanks and am wondering if it is their supply rather than a tank cycling issue now. Unfortunately, the articles did not suggest that the ammonia would return to gas form like chlorine does if allowed to stand (with or without aggitation).

SK, probably the place to begin is to check the PH of your tap water. If it is below 8.3 try changing out your DI resin first. If it is above 8.3 you may want to look for a chloramine removing filter that will replace the carbon filter in your existing unit. Lastly, a simple thing to try would be to pull off 5 gallons, check for ammonia, bubble it heavily for 24 hours and check again to see if it will come off as a gas (this may not be a sound suggestion because of my lack of basic chemical knowledge but it won't hurt anything if CG or one of our other chem/bio people does not come and shoot the thought in the scientific foot). CG, if just air exposure would not release the ammonia as gas, what temp (ie can she use a simple aquariuim heater) would cause it to be released from the water?.

My ph is naturally around 8.3 or higher. I called Dr. Foster and Smith where I got the filter and they are just flabbergasted so I will be calling Aquatic Life to ask them about it. So the higher the ph the harder it is to remember the chloramine... geeze man. I have never been more sorry that I stopped using sea water... If I had taken 2 hours to drive to the beach things might have been different. But at least I know now and can fix the problem. I'm not sure if I distroyed my filter or not yay. lol Thank you for the help. I am not very good with tech stuff so I get overwhelmed easily. I probably would have just tossed the RO unit lol. My husband would have LOVED that lol.

Ok so here is an update on the water issue. I have been on the phone for days now both with Foster and Smith and Aqualife (the maker of my RO/DI unit) To sum it up... Foster and Smith=helpful, Aqualife=crapy tech help. I spoke with Dave at Aqualife and he said being a marine biologist he knows for a fact that the ammonia couldnt have possibly killed my octo. Well, thats great considering every other source tells me different. Basically Aqualife is aware that Texas and Florida (not all parts of these states do) but that they use Chloramine to treat there water and felt in no way compelled to pass this information on to the distributors or customers. So I am only getting my water from the ocean and will add salt as needed. F and S is letting me return the unit even after its passed there time frame.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back