Dosidicus Beak on eBay

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Give me a beak, urr, break :wink:

alexmaymir

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
as ashamed to say it, I worked at an italian restaurant who served calamari (freshly prepared) so i've had the misfortune of seeing dead cuttles and squid who have beaks not too much smaller than that, so I doubt they're giant squid.

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
At least they identified it as a Humboldt, but that first bit, "Giant Squid Beak" is so misleading. Some poor sap will buy it thinking that a Humboldt IS a giant squid. What was it that JP Barmun said about fools and their money??? Sigh.

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
alexmaymir said:
as ashamed to say it, I worked at an italian restaurant
Hello alex,

Don't ever be ashamed of garlic and olive oil.:wink:

You're right, they're not true giant squid beaks, but they are from very large squid. I just wish the seller hadn't used misleading language. I'm tempted to buy one just to figure out how I could make molds (to produce resin beak copies.) They might be too delicate, though. Hmmm.

Clem

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
Clem said:
You're right, they're not true giant squid beaks, but they are from very large squid. I just wish the seller hadn't used misleading language. I'm tempted to buy one just to figure out how I could make molds (to produce resin beak copies.) They might be too delicate, though. Hmmm.
When I was an undergrad I spent a little bit of time with molding dino fossils using silicone molding compound and a variety of materials for the cast, including high and low density foams and a urethane plastic.

I think you could do this successfully but a good flexible mold would be necessary. We also found that using a vacuum pump really helped pull the air bubles out of the mold.

Dan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Muir

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak