Does funding bias conclusions? Paper on marine mammals and anthropogenic noise.

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by cuttlegirl, Nov 6, 2009.

1. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I have to question reports on bias that start like this:

I know the statement may be true but the topic is about bias and the abstract begins its first topic sentence trying to bias the reader. I tend to stop reading this kind of paper well before any information may be imparted.

3. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

It's an interesting paper.

These are issues we face constantly; we uphold our role as critic and conscience of society (that's what Universities are supposed to be), but to be a critic when called for most definitely does compromise your ability to generate funds ....

4. ceph

ceph Wonderpus Staff Member Moderator

I agree Steve. Science is not immune to funding fads and politics - sadly what we want to study and what there is funding for is often not aligned. This can put earring a living and personal ethics at odds.

5. Damien

Damien O. vulgaris Registered

we have the same problems everywhere, even there is no military or private funds, states funds depends of the states priority ...

In France the nuclear question was taboo and even now there are only few independant structures ( CRIIRAD , http://www.criirad.org/ ), the others are linked with energy business or with atomic studies center ( linked with army and the state).

In France one of the means we have is the way to use european's council or regional state councils to provide funds on independant structures. But the results are very limited structures.

To comme back on Marine Conservation theme, in France IFREMER want to help intelligent fishing, but the french state has to preserve french fishers ( and french navy) at same time....

IFREMER statues includes commercial and industrial charachters ..and IFREMER ( and the french navy) are involveld in a big part of actual french researchs ...

Most of the French oceanographic boats depends of the French navy or Ifremer.