does anyone on tonmo have a giant pacific octopus?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by fishkid6692, Apr 16, 2008.

1. fishkid6692

fishkid6692 Vampyroteuthis Supporter

i was just wondering if anyone had this octo. and where they got one. i am planning on setting up a very large tank and i wanted to know more about them. thanks!

2. mosthated

mosthated GPO Supporter

i dont know if anyone has one but i would like to know more about the tank your planing? got some pics?

3. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Think VERY large

4. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

How large is very large and do you have a big enough chiller?

5. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

If only I could afford to make 2 bedrooms into one giant tank.

6. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I have kept giant Pacific octopuses as a course of my research. First of all, having kept them, I had a 750 gallon tank. That tank was a bit small and had I kept the octopuses for more than two months each I would have wanted to put them in a larger tank. Secondly, you will need to get a collection permit from the state or province from which you are collecting them. In Washington state, where I have collected, they are touchy even for scientific collection, so it will likely even be more interesting to convincing them to let you collect one as a pet. GPOs are "game fish" in most of their range with makes governmental organizations less likely to let people capture them to keep as pets.
    A well fed GPO will easily be an 8-foot, 60lb animal before it dies. Keep that in mind.

7. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Note that most biological things scale as the cube of the length, so if a one foot bimac needs a 55gal tank to be comfortable, an 8 foot GPO needs 512 x 55gal, which is a 28160gal tank. It will also need around 512 times as much food (maybe a bit less because of lower metabolism)

just some back-of-the-envelope things to keep in mind.

I'm actually surprised they did OK in 750gal tanks. Was that a flow-through seawater system?

8. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

an 8 foot GPO needs 512 x 55gal, which is a 28160gal tank. It will also need around 512 times as much food (maybe a bit less because of lower metabolism)

That is a BIG tank,If I only could win N.Y. state lotto.

9. Taollan

Yup, it was a flow-through seawater, with high enough flow to essentially exchange all the water each hour. 750gal was indeed small, and I wouldn't recommend that small of a tank for anything other than short term holding (a month or two at the most). The last GPO I held was about 7' arm tip to arm tip and 48lb male. He could touch sides of the tank (long ways, about 7' apart) if he stretched out. It was indeed small.

That being said, metabolism actually increases more slowly than other parameters such as weight. Mass-specific volume actually goes down with increasing size by about the 3/4 (or 2/3, depending on who you believe) power. A GPO will produce considerably less wastes and require less O2 than a rubescens or bimac pound-for-pound. I still however wouldn't suggest a 750gal as a life-long pet GPO home.

10. Taollan

I just consulted with Roland Anderson's (the Seattle Aquarium's Puget Sound biologist) "Octopus dofleini and O. rubescens: animal husbandry" in Workshop on the fishery and market potential of octopus in Califonia in which he says the aquarium uses GPO display tanks of 1100L (about 300gal) in which they have kept octopuses up to 18kg (about 40lbs). That being said they use seawater flow-through as well and as such water parameters are kept pristine and at temperature below 13C (about 55F). He also mentions that the Cleveland aquarium has a 1900L display tank that is part of a 9500L closed system in which it has kept GPOs up to 39kg.

11. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

some tanks at public aquariums ive been to have pathetic setuos for their GPOs....poor things were curled up and white as ghosts in one corner....no shelter, and often with annoying little fish in the same tank :(

12. fishkid6692

ok nvm lol i was thinking 500g. way too big for me. i really like there color though. maybe i will just get a giant cuttle tank! i was going to make it a reef but my smaller tank got rapid tissue necrosis and i am giving up on corals after loosing about a thousand dollars worth of it. and i will downsize a bit. maybe a 265g. how many cuttles can i keep in a 265g? i love bandensis but i may consider other cuttles. any ideas? thanks!

13. Thales

How long was your smaller tank set up?

14. fishkid6692

i rushed it and i only cycled for 2 months but i used all stuff from my other tank so there was no cycle. but how many cuttles could i have in a 265g?

15. Thales

Your tank had a thousand dollars of corals and it was only two months old?

16. fishkid6692

yea i was new to reefs and i got a lot of LE corals.

17. Thales

Then you are still new to reefs yeah? :grin: There is always some kind of cycle when you move tanks.
    I generally recommend 'if you can keep a reef, you can keep a ceph' because fish and corals are better 'learning' animals than cephs.
    How many cuttles you could keep in a 265 depends on the species of cuttle.

18. fishkid6692

well my sps was doing fine so i don't think it was my tank. and i know that there was going to be some cycle but not a big one. i am almost positive that RTN was spread from a coral that i bought from someone. i have kept 2 cephs so far and i believe that i have cared for them the right way so far. i cycle my ceph tanks longer than my reef tanks though. i was thinking about bandensis cuttles for the 265g. and maybe try to breed them.