Cuvier's Beaked Whale | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Cuvier's Beaked Whale

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I am convinced something inside the octopuses stops functioning when they stop eating and the liver plays a direct digestion role with them. The suggestion of liver failure in the whale makes me wonder if we are looking at the right organs for the cause of the empty stomachs in the whales and the starving deaths of octopuses.

esquid

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Oh, I thought the article was implying that the whales died of renal failure resulting from the heavy parasite load. But, couldn't the empty stomachs be a side effect of the hormones that signal for the death of the animal. As in, the apoptosis like hormones deregulate hunger hormones as ingestion and digestion is a waste of energy if the body switching from growth and survival mode into shutdown mode.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
esquid,

Certainly the parasite infestation is what the article suspects as the reason for death and I did not mean to imply otherwise it just got me thinking (yet again) about what could be happening that we have not identified with octopuses and that maybe the empty stomachs of all the whales Steve investigates. The liver in octopuses (as my uneducated understanding permits translation) functions differently than our own (and I know absolutely nothing about whales) and actually secretes digestive chemicals directly into the stomach. This has me wondering if the studies that cannot find why the octopuses just stop eating have looked into or can identify liver failure.

Members online

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards