Cuttlefish in captivity: an investigation into housing and husbandry for improving welfare

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by DWhatley, May 2, 2015.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Cuttlefish in captivity: an investigation into housing and husbandry for improving welfare Belinda M Tonkins, Alexandra M Tyers, Gavan M Cooke 2015 (subscription)

2. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Just read the whole article. D, I can send it to you if you'd like. I won't nit pick here... I'll just say that I do not really see anything new from this other than possibly using photographs under glass tanks if no substrate is possible. Just seems like they could have done so much more on this project that would encompass one complete paper rather than just doing what they did.

Greg

3. DWhatley

Thanks for the summary Greg, I'll pass on asking for this one HOWEVER, there is still the one from Anna Bidder that I would like to have. I just reread Peter Ward's book - something I almost never do - and feel like I could read it again for all the info kind of packed into enjoyable reading.

4. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Hi D,

Just emailed it to you. I agree, I've read Peter's book a couple times. So much in there!

Greg

DWhatley likes this.
  5. DWhatley

A followup article by the same authors - includes several tables of behaviors and their intrepretation

Behavioural indicators of welfare exhibited by the common European cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis)
    Gavan M. Cooke* and Belinda M. Tonkins 2015 (pdf)