cuttle lagoon

baby #8 this morning - two unhatched remaining.

here is a pic of some of them - they were all in a line, but started moving when they noticed me above them with the camera
DSC06218.jpg

here is the tank this morning with the new mangroves that i got from a reefer friend
DSC06226.jpg

well, unfortunately the mysids did not do well. i think 1000 was too many for that 30 gallon setup that i threw together. the dead ones did not go to waste tho, all of my acans ate really well for a few days - as they died i siphoned them out and fed them to the acans in the tank.

i am gonna try again this week as i still need live mysids for at least another week. this time, i will put some in net breeders in the main tank, some in this setup and some in a couple of tanks at the school.

all 8 cuttles are doing well, the last two eggs were apparently infertile.

hobogato;150693 said:
well, unfortunately the mysids did not do well. i think 1000 was too many for that 30 gallon setup that i threw together. the dead ones did not go to waste tho, all of my acans ate really well for a few days - as they died i siphoned them out and fed them to the acans in the tank.

i am gonna try again this week as i still need live mysids for at least another week. this time, i will put some in net breeders in the main tank, some in this setup and some in a couple of tanks at the school.

all 8 cuttles are doing well, the last two eggs were apparently infertile.

Do you know what caused them to die?

I've kept 1000 in a 15g before without losing too many. I'm currently keeping 1000 in a 15 and a 10g and whats left are still alive and well. I keep some for more then 2 weeks. I don't use any filtration in the tanks either just airpumps for circulation.

i wish i knew. here are still a few left alive right now, and all of the ones that are in the net breeder in the main tank (that have not been eaten) are still alive.

they did not all die at once, there was a daily die off. the only thing i can think of is that maybe i overfed them baby brine - was feeding twice a day. i am gonna do a large water change on that setup before i add more this week.

Did you use new water or old tank water for their tanks? What temp are you keeping them at? Baby Brine are alive so I don't think they'd be polluting the water.

Did any water from the shipping bag make it into your tank? I suggest you test the water for ammonia as that is the likely culprit.

There is something "fishy" about mysis that keeps showing up and no one seems to be able to identify the anomaly. Some people have great success with them and even have them reproduce where others (myself included) see them die off daily and others see them consuming each other at terrific rates.

seems i am having the same luck with cuttlefish d. we are down to one baby cuttle fish. i dont think any of the other hatchlings ever ate, even though they were offered live mysys, live brine, live copepods and amphipods, live baby mollies, and frozen mysids.

the one survivor, whom we have dubbed uno, is at least twice as big as it was when it hatched. hopefully i can switch it over to live mollie babies and shore shrimp in the next couple of weeks. when it gets a little bigger, i will try to find a few more that are near the same size.

sadly, this morning our one surviving hatchling, uno, was not alive. i will be keeping the tank running and switching to an aggressive reef, so i guess it is no longer relevant here. thanks for all who read and commented along the way. for those of you keeping these awesome creatures, my hat is off to you :smile:

sorry to hear it. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back