copepods

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by basketballampm, Feb 18, 2004.

1. basketballampm

basketballampm Pygmy Octopus Registered

Some of my octopus eggs recently hatched, and i am expecting a lot more. However, these babies are extremely small, less than 1mm each. I am feeding them phytoplankton right now, but am getting the feeling that this is the wrong food. Someone suggested copepods to me, but i have no idea where to buy them, does anybody know?

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

OK I should've read this before I answered your other post BBAP
    :D

Where are you, near the sea???? If you're near the sea you could find a briny area and catch your own amphipods and mysids. If you use a fine enough mesh you would catch little uns.

For Copepods try a good pet supplier, one who deals in marine aquaria, there are other things that eat copepods (like seahorses). IF you're ABSOLUTELY stuck newly hatched brines will do for a very short time (they're not very nutritious). By feeding brines within 12hrs of their hatching they should have some yolk left. But I have to EMPHASISE these are not really good enough food for an octi, emergency food only (kinda like us eating a diet of only lettuce!)

Cheers

J

3. neptune

neptune Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

4. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

I'm real sorry for the wrong info, its supposed to be zooplankton, not phyto. MOst established tanks should have some copepods in them, if not try getting amphipods at either www.floridaquafarms.com or www.octopets.com.