colleges

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by Ryan Smith, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

Hello, I am starting to think of having a career as a marine biologist. As many of you are attending or are professors at a college, I was wondering what are some good schools for marine biology? What is the Harvard of the marine biology world? Any names
    would be appreciated, but any in New England or pretty much anywhere on the east coast would be where I would most likely attend.

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

3. Ryan Smith

Thanks sooooo much. I know it will be 2-3 years till I go to college but I still want to be informed. I was happy to see all of the colleges in alabama that had a good marine biology curiculum. Iv been getting a bunch of emails from the University of Alabama offering me a bunch of scholarships. Its kind of weird getting scholarships as a freshman in high school but its flattering.

4. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Don't take those e-mails too seriously, you'll continue to recieve more and more as you go through high school, and even more when you take the SAT. Remember that colleges are about money first, education second. Those e-mails don't mean you're guaranteed a spot at the school or anything like that, they're just advertisements. I'm a junior and have got a whole shelf on my desk for nothing but college mail and a whole e-mail account for colleges (I write the e-mail address wherever I on any forms I expect to get college e-mails from: SAT, ACT, etc). I suggest anyone else starting to go through this process does the same. When you start to get your colleges nailed down, go through your stack of mail and find whatever mail you have from those colleges, you can also use the search feature on your seperate e-mail. What you don't want to do is throw away all of the mail and delete all of the e-mails (or let the e-mails overwhelm your normall e-mail address) because they can be useful in the future if you keep it organized. I'm just starting to go back through it all and it's pretty amazing how fast it adds up. As I'm going through the mail, I'm finding that I've received mail from Harvard, tons from Brown, and a bunch of other high end colleges that I KNOW I won't be able to get into, so again, don't take them any more seriously than you would a flashy commercial.

I don't mean to put you down or anything, but it definitely is a learning curve, and a bit overwhelming at first and I know I took (and take) any advice I can get on the whole thing. Good luck!

5. Ryan Smith

Well, my school requires that you take the SATs your freshman year. It isnt your final score, but they do send out the scores to colleges. Surprisingly I guess I did really well. 98th percentile in math and 96th in english. I get sooooo many emails and its actually kind of annoying... I know they dont mean Im guarenteed a spot but yeah.

edit* Yes its the SATs not PSATs my school takes itself too seriously.

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

You will eat those words one day if you don't find one for your own children who provide AP classes like Marine Bio (or whatever interests your own kids have). Where I live the scores are often in the bottom 30% in the senior year. Appreciate what you have and go for the gold!

7. CaptFish

It is common for private schools to have their freshman take the SAT. I had to when I was a freshman too.

8. Corporate

Corporate Banned Banned

i'm not sure whether it would be better to go to school in the US or my native Canada for marine biology...we've got some great fisheries out in the maritimes, maybe some practical experience would help before all of this.

9. Omega

Omega GPO Registered

I had to take my sat as a freshman too..and every year after. My freshman year was my highest..high school made me less intelligent =[

10. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

You should think about what division of marine bio you want to study. Most universities tend to a have a couple main focuses in any department. So no matter how good the schools standing is, if they don't do what your interested in, being there isn't going to help you.

11. Ryan Smith

Well, Im totaly obsessed with octos. I believe teuthologist is the term for a ceph biologist. Any colleges with a good ceph department?

12. esquid

I guessed or you wouldn't be here ;) Think also about what it is about octos that you would want to study. ex: behavior, biology, biochemistry, culture... You may be able to find a university that is known for the field, doesn't currently study cephs, but is open to studying new species. I found an immunology focused aquaculture lab that focuses on sea lice and salmonoids that I will be studying octopus immune function at next year.

13. DWhatley

In Maine?

Will you be able to post what you are doing and what you find as you study? Exciting!

14. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Congrats! Where are you going to be? What kind of octos?

15. esquid

Yes in Maine. I didn't want to talk about it much until we were pretty sure it was going to happen. I'll post what the boss says I can.

16. DWhatley

Very, very super cool!

17. Ryan Smith

Is it in Bangor? Iv very fermilliar with the area. Half of my family is from Eastport. About 2 mins from
    Canada.

edit* about 2 hours and 30 mins north of Bangor

18. esquid

UM Orono, which is just north of Bangor. I know of Eastport, but have never been there. I did some of the research work for the tidal turbine that is going in there.

19. Darth Kraken

Darth Kraken Blue Ring Registered

Bangor in Wales?

20. CaptFish

Bangor, Maine