[Octopus]: Charlie - (?) Newbie Ceph Keeper

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, not really but have another look at Callistoctopus aspilosomatis (Puddles was one of mine). This would be a more likely species than O. marginatus. They are often a reddish color (sometimes even bright red) but don't show much in the way of spikes or veining.

Tilly_tylerr

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Update: I went away for 2 nights, and I came back to see one of the clams opened and cleaned out :D considering the clam is fairly large and Charlie is fairly small, I’m astounded by his strength. As for what he really is, we’ll have to wait and see until I have some better photos.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
How big is Charlie? His long, apparently webless/web minimized arms are a quandary and he may not be any of the common animals we normally see. I recently looked up Ameloctopus litoralis for someone trying to ID an animal from a dive and wonder if it describes Charlie. This is a very small animal with very long arms that the octopus can easily detach. The photo on Tolweb shows it can display quite red and this post contains a video (you will need to copy the link and possibly view using Internet Explorer/Microsoft Edge as I could not get it to play in Chrome and it does not display properly on the forum) that shows the coloration in your images.

Tilly_tylerr

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Charlie if probably about 8 inches tentacle to tentacle. I do not believe it’s the species you mentioned, as I did some reading and apperantly the species you mentioned does not have an ink sac. Charlie inked when we were first catching him at the store. Also, his mantle is larger than that of a Ameloctopus litoralis.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I pulled out my Cephalopods A World Guide by Mark Norman (2003 revision) and found an animal (unfortunately marked as SP) that appears to have similar markings and the row of raised skin evenly distributed along the arms. This animal is considerably larger than Charlie though and there are many in in Indonesia that frequently show this coloration. Sadly, finding out more recent info on the one in the book is impossible. I sure wish he would update it!
NormanOctopusSpPg240.jpg

Tilly_tylerr

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
That has to be what he is. Theyre pretty much identical.. Thanks a lot! I’ll have to do some more digging to find out the proper name for it!