• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Cephalopod survey

drgmcooke

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi all,

I am cephalopod scientist working in the UK on a book chapter (Cephalopod Enrichment) as part of a general invertebrate welfare book, and very curious as to your experiences with cephs as pets. I just want some very basic facts, like how much you have paid, where they come from and what cephs you have had. Nothing major and absolutely anonymous.I have no interest in using the information for or against keeping cephs as pets (from what I see the numbers kept are trivial and welfare way better than in science or aquaculture).

The survey is here and has 12 questions which can be answered in a few mins. It is just to get some background to the wider theme and not in anyway a major part of the chapter

Cephalopod survey

Many thanks for reading :)

Gav
www.drgmcooke.co.uk

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I think reversing the major/minor scale multiple times within the survey will produce invalid results as it was easy to miss the changes.

drgmcooke

Blue Ring
Registered
awwh, 87 views and only 4 completed surveys - if you had all completed the survey I'd have enough to to say something interesting about what you guys are up to - would more cuttlefish/octos help bribe a few?!

please consider completing it, the hobbyist sector is all but unrecognised amongst the scientific and aquaculture communities!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I'm glad you're interested in home aquarists. I agree that they keep their cephalopods under far better conditions are than do many research labs and public aquariums. Also ceph hobbyists have many interesting behavior observations and interactions to report about.

I documented a number of my experiences with my O. bimaculoides as "Ollie Stories" in our book, Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefishes for the Home Aquarium, by Colin Dunlop and Nancy King. Some of these anecdotes were later included by Sy Montgomery in The Soul of an Octopus. And you'll find some interesting posts on this site about interaction between ceph keepers and their cephs.

Really like the photos you've posted!

Nancy

drgmcooke

Blue Ring
Registered
I'm glad you're interested in home aquarists. I agree that they keep their cephalopods under far better conditions are than do many research labs and public aquariums. Also ceph hobbyists have many interesting behavior observations and interactions to report about.

I documented a number of my experiences with my O. bimaculoides as "Ollie Stories" in our book, Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefishes for the Home Aquarium, by Colin Dunlop and Nancy King. Some of these anecdotes were later included by Sy Montgomery in The Soul of an Octopus. And you'll find some interesting posts on this site about interaction between ceph keepers and their cephs.

Really like the photos you've posted!

Nancy
Thanks, Nancy, I have to stay away from anecdotes as this is an academic text, which is why I need the survey data. Could you encourage your fellow ceph pet keepers to take part? Only have 5 respondents which is way too few to report anything. I would have read your book but the only copies I can find are $150 +!

There are at least two ways you guys can influence public aquaria in particular, can't say what as it will invalidate the survey but without participants, my thoughts won't be taken seriously :/

Have a phot for your troubles :)

Gav

drgmcooke

Blue Ring
Registered
Have you posted this on Reef Central Cephs section? I have not been there in some time but there used to be some traffic there. Just trying to help you get the numbers you need
Great idea but yeah, I have. Would it help to have it another forum on here? Maybe not as the home page seems to show all new threads. 140 odd views and only six responders. Need about a 100 to make it.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Calling all past and present Tonmo ceph keepers!
If you haven't participated in this survey yet, please do!
( I did). The author will share information with us if he has enough people take the survey to have meaningful results.

Nancy

drgmcooke

Blue Ring
Registered
Thanks @Nancy come on guys, take part :)

here is another bribe...

we grew European cuttlefish out to as big as we could and this bad ass male got to over 50cm, cooler waters is the key :)

This him 'mate guarding' after mating with a female, he is preventing her from mating with other males

Gav

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Done!

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
@drgmcooke I have been canvassing on your behalf but don't have direct contact with the numbers you need. Tank Talk is probably not the best forum for this. I can move it to Octopus Care and you could add a second note in Cuttlefish Care for potentially more exposure. An alternate would be Ceph Care Ethics or Marine Conservation but I think either might give the wrong impression and have less traffic. Let me know if you want to try a different forum.

drgmcooke

Blue Ring
Registered
@DWhatley had 7 more responders overnight so whatever you did worked, many thanks. :) Not sure if moving will help as its gotten over 200 views here but if you think it would help...

Female shortly before going through a very quick senescence

Juvenile giving a classic deimatic warning display

Thanks all

Gav

Members online

No members online now.