ceph culture system

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by marinebio_guy, Feb 17, 2008.

1. marinebio_guy

marinebio_guy Vampyroteuthis Registered

Attached are a few pics of a system I'm building for a pilot scale experiment for large scale culture of cephs for pet trade and research that I'm building at work. Hopefully we will get our animals in May/June. Right now it consists of (15) 20g tanks and (2) 1300g tanks on a recirculating system.

Attached Files:

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Very impressive!

So which species are you considering? Any possibilities that we could buy those destined for the pet trade?

Nancy

3. marinebio_guy

Right now we are looking at flamboyants. If it works out than I will be able to sell any extra animals, expand the facilities and number of species.

4. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Whoo hoo! Let me know when you have animals available. Your system looks great! :smile:

5. marinebio_guy

If we are successful with breeding them we will only probably sell a few this year if we have extra as I'm doing several research projects on them and I'll need to increase the brood stock but the second year I should be able to sell quite a few.

6. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Awesome! Are you doing this at U H Hilo, or are you associated with some other lab in the Hilo area (does Manoa have a presence in Hilo? I have the impression that U H Hilo doesn't have much of a grad program, but Manoa does a lot more researchy stuff. And Kewalo and Manoa are on Oahu, right?

7. marinebio_guy

I'm doing this with the center that I work for the Pacific Aquaculture and Coastal Resources Center which is part of UH Hilo. UH-Hilo does have a small grad program but it's fairly new and so small for now but hopefully will grow. UH Hilo does not do as much research as Manoa overall but we are a smaller campus. However our aquaculture facilities is a lot better :)

8. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Cool, and the Big Island is a lot less touristy and nicer, I think. And has Ken's House of Pancakes.

9. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Very nice! Im looking forward to seeing how this develops and please let me know when animals/eggs are available!

10. marinebio_guy

Will keep you updated. The system should be up and running in the next week or two and if I get all the permits in time I'll be getting the animals in May or June. Also I'm working on a project raising a small shrimp that might be better than mysids for live food.

11. muskox

muskox Blue Ring Registered

looks great!!!!!!!
    Can't wait to see it running!

12. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

ooo exciting!

that looks like a great setup. keep us posted on the progress.

what are the feeder shrimp you are working with?

13. marinebio_guy

The shrimp is Halocaridina rubra which is cultured in very small numbers already but is expensive ($1-2 per shrimp). However, a lot of the ones being sold are wild caught which is bad because they're only found in a few small ponds around hawaii and if over collected they could eazily become endangered. I'm looking at trying to culture them on a large scale first and then see if they would be adequate as a mysid replacement.

14. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

I have found a local source to catch live fresh water mysids. Im hesitant to use this as a main food source for hatchlings (bandensis at the moment). Do you have any thoughts or concerns about this?

15. marinebio_guy

I would not have a problem using wild caught mysids. It's probably the best food currently available. I have not worked with fresh water mysids so I do not know if you could acclimate them to saltwater which you might have to do because if you just put them in the saltwater without acclimating them they might die.

16. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Unless I have my species mixed, these only spawn a few eggs each year so raising enought to sell may be a problem. Before they became a major conservation topic and were reasonably priced, I fed the red shrimp to my seahorses (the supplier has their own ponds but are facing restrictions anyway). There is a lot of controversy over using these as feeders and I hope you are successful getting the permits and raising them for this purpose as they are a great size and the red color attacks even the pickiest of horses. The color, however, would seem to be a problem for cephs.

17. marinebio_guy

I never said it would be easy :). Each female spawns around 10-15 eggs a couple times a year. The good thing that makes them a good subject is they do not eat each other like mysids, they eat bacteria and algae unlike mysids that need a lot of artmia and they can be kept at higher densities. Again the enviromental effects from collecting is bad and from what I've been told some of the places selling them still collect them from the wild.

There is still not a lot known about how to raise them. First, I'm just trying to see what enviromental cues they use to breed and go from there and hopefully in the long term be able to culture them in large enough quantities to sell them as live food.

18. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

so when are the cuttles arriving, May or June????