bought an octopus, but what kind?

Some new photos, well I took them a week ago but never got around to posting.
All without flash for a change.

IMGP9599.JPG

IMGP9603.JPG

IMGP9606.JPG

IMGP9604.JPG

IMGP9620.JPG

Haven't posted in a while, mostly due to being busy and or sick.

Only thing new is he lost the tip of one of his arms to a powerhead. No big deal. It's regenerating.

I have still been taking tons of photos and videos, now I"ll try and get around to sorting through them and posting some good ones. It's now been almost 7 months since I got him.

IMGP9812.JPG

IMGP9824.JPG

IMGP9821.JPG

IMGP9829.JPG

IMGP9827.JPG

IMGP9833.JPG

IMGP9839.JPG

IMGP9843.JPG

IMGP9845.JPG

IMGP9850.JPG

IMGP9859.JPG

One cool thing that has happened is he finally let me pick him up completely (still in the water) Usually he will keep a couple arms on the glass or rock so he can not be pulled too far but he crawled right on to my hand the other day.

With the exception of a senescent animal (I don't mean to imply senescence with this one at all), I have not had one to completely free the glass and sit in my hand (possibly once with Monty but I think he was still touching) for more than a game of "squish" (where they will compress to go through my fingers and then return to do it again). Do be aware that the two times I have been nipped (no skin breaks) was trying to put senescent animals back on the LR or in a net as they did not want to leave my hand so be sure to let him leave on his own accord :biggrin2:

I know it's rare. He has not done it again. Although I did see him swim a bit the other day. Even around the tank he usually crawls around and does not swim.

a few new videos I took today

[video]

[video]

He is really small for 7 months. It is a nice size for an aquarium I think but very much smaller than what I have seen as common (guaging from your fingers).

I've never gotten around to measuring his mantle but arm to arm he last time I measured he was 27"

He only eats every couple of days. Doesn't seem overly interested in eating. It's not that he starves, but if he's not hungry hungry it takes a lot to coax him to take shrimp, and live crabs just end up wandering around.

There are a number of people that think eating less and low end temperatures (which will effect eating) will extend their natural lifespan so coaxing them to eat more than they want may be counter productive even though it is counter intuitive. We are experimenting a little with our bimac. Since Diego seems to understand we bring food and seems to come to the front wall when he sees Neal if he is hungry, we are letting him decide what days he eats. Right now, it seems every other day suits him and that fits fine with what appears to be a healthy appetitie for this species. Tatanka seems to be more comfortable with eating two days in a row and then not eating on the third day. He is eating less now at 10 months than when he was younger but still keeps this approximate schedule. Our hummelincki seemed to want to eat most of the week and then fast one day. Needless to say, I think the individual octopus, the age of the octopus and likely the temperature of the aquarium all impact the feeding routine.

Without really stretching, Tank reached over to my hand last night half way across the tank, discounting his body, I measured the arm lenth at about 17". It was obvious he could extend the arm half again that distance with ease but I don't have an at rest measurement. I have noticed that his mantle has grown since he mated with Cassy and he is not close to if not larger than her pre-egg producing size. Anticdotally, this would suggest that the males may grow a little more slowly than the females.

There does not appear to be a rhyme or reason to sizing. I have noted this particularly in the hummelincki but we have seen significant variations in size for all the species we are currently keeping. It has been helpful to photograph them next to a ruler/taper measure at death just to get a common measurement so, as hard it is mentally to do, I continue to encourage this with all journaled animals.

octomatic;175699 said:
awesome photos! is that egg thing pushed all the way tight with the crab in it?

Yes but his success rate is probably about 50% I'd say it's more like 75% with live crabs and 25% with shrimps. I think the movement of the crab keeps him interested but if it's shrimp and he doesn't get it in 2-3 minutes he'll just give up. It's not like I won't feed him again.

It may be because he's lazy and knows more food will come, but it makes me wonder when you see things on tv how every octopus can open jars on their first try ect. They certainly are capable but not 100% of the time.

Wow even more great pictures. For all I know a pro could have taken them. Your octo seems to get
out a lot or is just very social.

DWhatley;175707 said:
... but how many people are going to post videos of the failures?

I will post a video of all my failures! ...Although I don't think I have enough tape... *sigh*

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back