bobtail squid

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by jkprules, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jkprules

jkprules Cuttlefish Registered

hey. im hoping to get my hands on a bobtail squid but i'm out on the east cost. anyone have a suggestion on how or where to get one?

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Move to Hawaii? :sagrin:

You'd probably have more luck winning the lottery than finding one of those for sale, at least currently.

3. cephaloholic

cephaloholic O. vulgaris Registered

4. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Last I read in the archives, these guys had a crash and lost all of their bobtails. That was in 2005? Not sure if they ever started up again.

5. spinycheek

spinycheek GPO Registered

I know this is a little dated, but you could try wetpetshawaii.com

The collector can get some weird stuff sometimes

6. Braden_Thompson

Braden_Thompson Larval Mass Registered

I have chatted with the owner of wetpetshawaii.com, and he has confirmed that he has seen them on night dives, and will collect them for $30 an animal, and for four, it will be around $130 for the four animals and shipping:)

7. Braden_Thompson

Braden_Thompson Larval Mass Registered

Also, i contacted longarmlabs.com, and they aren't breeding cephs of any kind for a year or so due to some kind of financial issues, so go with the confirmed source, wetpetshawaii.com:old:

8. spinycheek

make sure to ask for the littlest ones he can find, they don't live long.

9. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I would argue more strongly than that and ask anyone to refrain from, or at least spend some extra thought on collecting specimens from habitats as limited in their scope as the shallows surrounding Pacific Islands. Hawai may look big, but it's in a fragile balance. Moreover, more than 50% of the collected specimens are statistically not going to make it, so for every short lived spectacle in your tank, there will be an equal number of pointless and untimely deaths.

10. Octopus_Reef

Octopus_Reef O. vulgaris Supporter

Well said, I have had these come as sub's before and NEVER had one arrive alive, Its best to leave them be IMO.

11. ckeiser

ckeiser GPO Supporter

Well put, ob. A biologically and medically important species like Euprymna scolopes should be observed in its own habitat, incurring the least risk to an already fragile animal.

12. spinycheek

What if you intend to breed them? Most of the labs that have bred them use cups and aerators which kind of points to them being fairly hardy animals, and if you intend to breed them, then they won't be a temporary tank decoration. Considering Hawaiians use them for bait and food, taking a few for an aquarium seems much less damaging. I also don't think it's any worse than taking any other animals from the wild. But I do agree, as with any animal purchase, lots of research and planning is the most responsible course of action as many species are threatened even though they aren't officially listed as such.

13. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Spinycheek, captive bred is almost always a good idea, provided you have the expertise (which I assume you have, by the way)