Arm injury produces long-term behavioral and neural hypersensitivity in octopus

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by DWhatley, Nov 23, 2013.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Arm injury produces long-term behavioral and neural hypersensitivity in octopus
    Jean S. Alupay,Stavros P. Hadjisolomou,Robyn J. Crook
    Complementing Robyn's OTHER paper on squid, this study investigates the possibility of pain experiences in octopuses.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    Architeuthoceras likes this.
  2. robyn

robyn Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Thanks for posting this, Denise! This is a short study that I did in the summer with Stavros (also a tonmo member, who might stop by this thread, and Jean, who is a great grad student in Roy's (neogonodactylus) lab. So this one has a lot of links to the Tonmo community.
    In this one, like in squid, we stop short of saying for sure whether or not octopuses can feel pain, because here we focused on neural and behavioural responses that are in part, reflexes. Because pain is emotional and subjective, it is hard to measure and we need a lot more evidence to make any conclusions. What we did show clearly is that arm injuries have long-term effects on protective behaviours that could be one indication of pain experience.
    I do not have a finalised copy of the pdf yet, but I will be happy to send it to anyone interested when I do.

Architeuthoceras and DWhatley like this.
  3. DWhatley

I am still "thinking" about how and what to put in a new tips and tricks page for all the different features of the new bulletin board software. One item is the ability to "tag" a post with a members name preceded with the @ sign to get a member's attention (after starting with @ and a couple of letters, a popup selection list will appear to help with spelling). The tagged member will get an alert (shown in the upper right corner) when they sign in and an email if emails are selected in the member's profile. soooo, @Stavros

Edit: New Tips and Tricks available

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. Stavros

Stavros GPO Registered

Nice to see this posted here. As Robyn said, we learned quite a lot in a short period of time; there's a lot of potential in comparing across species to find important differences and we sometimes overlook this in favor of simplicity. It'd be a good idea to return to this thread for further discussion once the manuscript is out.

Many thanks to Robyn who orchestrated this collaboration and to Jean for sharing her procedures, it was an awesome experience.

5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Love that! :thumbsup:

6. DWhatley