[Featured]: Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

I was going to comment on the immense mantle-length based on the number of people lined-up behind, then noticed how far back they were standing and how tiny most of them were.:wink:

It appears close to 6 feet/ 1.80 meters, still pretty big in my book. I wonder whether that's rope tied around it, or that it was cut into sections and reconstructed for the photograph...

Outside of a good postmortem being the most fun, DNA analysis is really the easiest clencher. By the looks of it this is Architeuthis; size and morphology seem to match well. We're missing some vital bits of info, however, such as the shape of the caudal fins, the morphology of the suckers etc. I'd put my money on it, but then I'm slightly intoxicated, following our annual company Christmas booze-up :smile:

Another pic of this squid

I found more news on ETTODAY.com
http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/a/061220/17/89aj.html

This squid weights 211 kilo(470lb), circumference 1.5 meter, body length 3 meter.
It was caught 2 months ago in the Pacific Ocean about 900 nautical miles NW of Midway(35d30m lat, 168d20m long)
It was caught with a fishing spear when fisherman saw it surfaced water. It stayed in the freezer for 2 months.
It was sold for about $530 USD at the fish market.
Researcher marine biologist Mr. CC Wu of Taiwan Dept of Fish and Game identiied it as a giant squid.
He said the squid's body muscle contain much amonia. Not good eating. :lol:

Attachments

• conv_289974.jpg
    conv_289974.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 288
Unfortunately Dr. Steve O'Shea is on vacation until Jan 11th (although fortunate for him!)... he'd be enjoying this news for sure (perhaps he is).

Architeuthis is inedible to the extreme of being repulsive: its ammonia content (for natural buoancy) is such, that consumption as food is absolutely out of the question. I hope it found its way into a museum.

manatee = mermaid

(just ask Sam and Max, Freelance Police!)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back