Another weird squid!!

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by Steve O'Shea, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

http://www.georevista.es/geo/home.jsp?idapr=1_402_esp_1__

Anyone want to have a go translating the page?

The tentacle length is insonsistent with that of Architeuthis, but the body and fins don't look quite right for an ommastrephid (Humboldt), unless it is sick. It's certainly no Moroteuthis! It has me scratching my head a little. The swimming keels are consistent with an ommastrephid.

With the squid in the foreground the scales are thrown out some; it is highly unlikely that this is a monster.

Attached Files:

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Automated translation:

3. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Hello Steve,

My Spanish is a mite rusty, but I'll give it a go:

"Thanks to a stroke of luck, the giant squid, inhabitant of the oceanic abyss, has been photographed for the first time in its habitat."

"The giant squid, known by its scientific name as Architeuthis, has shed some of its mystery: French biologist and diver Laurent Ballesta has taken photographs of it alive and in its natural habitat. Until now, no-one has ever obtained graphic, documenary proof, since the huge invertebrate frequents the deep abyss. This instance was the fruit of chance: Ballestra was diving the waters of the Gulf of Aqaba, in the Red Sea, at a depth of 90 meters in waters more than 500 meters deep, making a rapid vertical descent, as the squid rose vertically and looked him and his colleague right in the eye. (I think that's close-C) They had just enough time to take the picture published here, and then it was gone in a flash, vanished into the depths."

Before that moment, this solitary animal, one three meters in length, had showed no aggressivenesss, although it had the means to defend itself with its eight tentacles and the use of its beak. One of the locales where Architeuthis is most often ecountered is the Asturian coast, where there have been a large number of recorded finds of this animal."

Uhhh...what? That doesn't really look like Archie, but it definitely is weird and big looking.

Cheers,
    Clem

4. Steve O'Shea

... I hate to say this, but it's got a very dead look to it; if it is not dead then it looks VERY sick. I wonder if this is a *hoax*/plant ... dead squid drifting through water column, snapped by eager photogs .....

5. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

i'm sorry guys.... i dont buy the illusion of size..... strikes me as simply in between the camera and diver but closer to the camera....

6. Steve O'Shea

I put money on it that it is a dead squid; live squid just don't look like this!! You are right WK.

7. Clem

WK and Steve,

I agree, it looks to be very sick at the least. Looks like I mistranslated the section describing the photographic flash disturbing the squid. Assuming, for the moment, that it really did disappear when strobed, you'd expect the iris to have contracted at the moment the light went off. This critter's pupil looks fixed and dilated. The tail also looks split.

Cheers,
    Clem

8. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Hmmmmmm someone trying to cash in on the recent news from Japan?? The whole thing looks dead to me.........that eye looks sunken and rather odd.

J

9. Clem

Hello Jean,

The Geo article is dated April, 2004, No. 207, so I don't think it's a post-Kubodera attempt to cash in, although Mr. Ballestra may attempt to do so by drawing attention to it.

Steve, how'd you find this weird thing?

Clem

10. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

OK .........Shoulda read the article! :oops: still looks dead to me though!:grin:

J

11. Steve O'Shea

Clem, the inbox is full of messages from everywhere, drawing my attention to this, that and the other. I've even had a few messages from actual squid .... not too happy about this invasion of privacy. People do like squid, that's for sure! Comforting to know.

I keep forgetting that this is an octopus site:wink: ... we do need a colossal octopus don't wee. Phil, what can you dig up on photoshop?

12. Clem

Oh, yes, Jean, dead as a doornail. Funny too that the Geo article counted eight "tentacles." That's a pretty common eror of nomenclature, but the thing does appear to have only eight (or less) arms, and no obvious tentacles.

So: dead, split tail, no tentacles, and signs of abrasion of the mantle and tail. Run over by a whale, or regurgitated? Trawled? Or just spawned out?

Clem

13. Steve O'Shea

.... or brought there by the photogs, dropped a 100 times until they got the desired image ....

This one gets the :thumbsdo: if that's what's happened. Have we our first ceph hoax? Plenty in fossils.

14. tonmo

I'm sorry, is it just me or does this completely look like an illustration, not a photo? Was thinking I was missing something with this thread... that doesn't look like a photo to me.

15. tonmo

I've attached the pic blown up 500%. Illustration?

Attached Files:

16. Steve O'Shea

Ahhhhhhhh. Nope, I think it's a photo for sure Tony (the detail is far too accurate). That 'split' fin is legitimate - it's just the fin either side, both oriented up as the animal is sinking (dead). That most definitely is a DEAD squid!

We're being conned

17. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

When I look at the photograph, I see a vertical line running through the squid, like it was manipulated. It is just to the left of the diver's fin.

18. Clem

Hello Cuttlegirl,

Ah, yes, indeed. You've a keen eye. Is there also a bit of wavy artifacting around both figures?

Cheers,
    Clem

19. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Is there also a bit of wavy artifacting around both figures?

Hello Clem,

At first I thought that was turbulence but now I think it might be "cut and paste"...

Jennifer

20. tonmo

I guess my thinking on that it's an illustration is that the lighting seems very off (e.g. the diver's fin, thigh and hand; I'm definitely not buying the shadowing and lighting effect when compared to the tentacles). Looks a little like one of those old 50's sci-fi magazine covers, although now that I stare at it I guess the detail on the squid mantle itself (if nothing else) seems quite life-like (as if I've ever encountered a living squid).

That said, I definitely see that vertical line cuttlegirl is referring to, and I'd agree there's something to that from a manipulated photo standpoint. Interesting that the blue gradient doesn't seem compromised.