Aiptasia management in cold water

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by ngdo, Apr 10, 2014.

1. ngdo

ngdo O. bimaculoides Registered

Looking for input on dealing with aiptasia breakouts in a cold tank.

Our 120G is currently kept at 65 degrees and is home to a single nautilus and a normal cleanup crew (various snails, hermits, brittle stars). We're getting an aiptasia boom however. I've added extra peppermints which are not getting the job done. I pulled them out spent $200 on a population of berghias which don't seem to be doing anything before.

With warmer tanks, I've never had a problem dealing with the aiptasias with either berghia or peppermints. I'm not sure if the cooler temperatures simply inhibit appetite while somehow letting the aiptasias flourish.

What does everyone else use? Should I just be more patient? ;)

2. haggs

haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

my tanks were always heated, but I used to boil fresh water and use a length of air hose attached to a hard plastic tube and siphon the boiling water through and burn them off, yes it was slow but I got rid of them all. To make sure I didn't change the salinity too much I used to turn off the fresh water auto top off system.

3. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Inject them woth Hydrogen Peroxide. It works great andbis very satisfactory. It dissociates into Oxygen gas and water, so you have notging to worry about.

4. mataconda

mataconda Pygmy Octopus Registered

You can inject them with vinegar too. Just be sure to hold the syring over the mouth and watch the aptaisia. It will "puff" 3 times. By holding the syring over the mouth your keeping the pest from releasing more into the tank.

5. mataconda

mataconda Pygmy Octopus Registered

P.s. vinegar is a great carbon source for your beneficial bacteria. Try keeping the skimmer off for a hour after dosing. Then skim heavy.